Menu

Sugar Mouse Cake- other special books?

I recently found the book "Sugar Mouse Cake" by Gene Zion. It is an older book that is really hard to find for a reasonable price so I have been on the lookout for a while. But, I finally found it online for a good price. I thought I would mention it here in case someone else happens to see it online or in thrift stores or something.

It has become such a special book to my boys! They have just read it over and over. I highly recommend it if you ever get a chance to find one.

But, what I wanted to ask is if you had any more recommendations for picture books or other books that have been special for your family. We love unique books and have enjoyed this one so much! Does anyone else have any to share?

I'm not sure what ages you are looking for, but the following are some of the books we have loved. Most of them are OOP.

Picture Books:

Robert the Rose Horse

Pickle Chiffon Pie

The Dream Keeper (by Robert Ingpen)

The Giraffe Who Walked to Paris

The Duchess Bakes a Cake (not the Purple House Press version, they changed one of the verses)

A Christmas Memory

My Pony (Susan Jeffers)

Chapter Books:

Bambi

Hurry Home, Candy

Big Susan

Capyboppy

I'm not sure what ages you are looking for, but the following are some of the books we have loved. Most of them are OOP.

Picture Books:

The Duchess Bakes a Cake (not the Purple House Press version, they changed one of the verses)

What is the original verse?  We love our Purple House Press version, but that is the only one we've read.

Thank you for all of the additional recommendations! I will have to look for those.

What is the original verse?  We love our Purple House Press version, but that is the only one we've read.

I was also curious about this since we also have the Purple House Press version. I also did not know that they republished "The Giraffe that Walked to Paris". I had given up looking for that book and now we can find it! Hooray!

I can't remember it word-for-word and the book has disappeared somewhere in DD's room, but it was about the arrows and sparrows. The original verse actually had them hitting the sparrows ("but all that they hit were a couple of sparrows") and the rhyme flowed so much better than the altered one. I might have just thought it was a poorly written verse if I had read the Purple House version first, but my library had the original one (before it went OOP and was reprinted), and I was struck by how different they seemed. The illustration was different, too. The sparrows were upside down with Xs for eyes.  :tongue_smilie: