Menu

First Interview & Info Session: Check

TechWife

The representative from Savannah College of Art and Design was in town today. DS had an interview that he said was informal & pretty basic. They also had an info. session and one of the professors came and gave a drawing lesson. 

DS was pretty quiet about the interview, he said he asked questions about what to put in his portfolio. DH went to the info. session with him. 

The entrance requirements are pretty low, but it is an art school, so I'm not really surprised. The biggest factor is cost - very pricey. He seems to have a moderate interest in the program, but knows this is the first of many visits. We'll probably try to go to the campus in the spring if he's still interested. Scholarships are based on portfolios, so that will be pretty important. 

I feel like SCAD will be a safety school for him, simply due to their lower admission requirements and the high cost.

DS isn't still undecided about what he wants to do. He is also thinking about some type of computer science. That would definitely rule SCAD out. 

That's a great way to get started.

Just so you know, my dear son in law graduated in March from the Philly Art Institute. They had very low admission's requirements too. He went into computer animation programming, and had an internship at Lockheed Martin which was arranged through the institute. After his internship, he was hired in full time with a decent starting wage and good benefits package. He writes flight simulation software as well as does animated ads and what not for the company. They did not care about the low admission standards for the school. Instead, they give a programming/graphics test to each potential employee. So, if your son is interested in combining art and computer sci, this could be one option.

However, beware. It seems that art schools, such as the above, are not particularly forth coming with need based aid - which he would have qualified for - and merit aid is some what thin. He did get some scholarships - tuition is STEEP, but unfortunately, he has more student loan debt than dh and I would have EVER considered for any of our kids. He would make enough to lead a very, very spartan life while making those payments, but, the reality is, dd is putting 75% of her take home income to pay it down, and the other 25% to alleviate the budget so they can have a little easier first few married years. If she had been in debt for school, I think they would be in trouble financially. But, as it is, she'll knock out his debt in two or three years, and Lockheed is pretty regular with pay raises, so they'll be okay.

Just thought I'd throw that out there for you.

Congrats! This is such a fun time in high schooler's life!