Menu

Dd13 broke her arm, need suggestions!

thowell

So all our plans are on hold for a while. She broke her right arm in 3 places (thank you Dad and unsupervised time on the 4 wheeler). Of course, she is right handed so she cant do any writing. I need some things she can do. I have her going through the lessons on Khan Academy and she is reading some of the Tiner books on Chemistry and Physics right now. What else can she do? Anything online? grammar, vocab? I don't want the next 6-8 weeks to just be a stand still for her.

I broke my right arm when I was 10. I just wrote most stuff with my left hand.

Give her a few days for the pain to go away first, but then she should be able to use her left hand for writing simple stuff like single word answers.

For grammar you could have the sentences written out and just have her mark the corrections. She could still work out math problems, but maybe fewer than normal. She will just need more space/paper when using the non dominate hand. Or she could even use a large dry erase board to write on.

In no particular order:

1) Snap Circuits -- understanding electricity properties will help in many ways as a grown up

2) Programming (scratch.com) -- I can't think of a single job that knowing programming skills wouldn't be of value.

3) Language learning using an online/computer program.  (Visual Link Spanish, Rosetta Stone, Power Glide, etc).  Do double lessons to make up for any heavy writing programs she is not doing.  Do a 4 month program in 2 months.

4) Set a goal to read a certain number of classics in this time. 

If your dd is high school level, read Shakespeare, and other books on the "Cliff's Notes" list.  Most public high schoolers read Romeo and Juliet and Hamlet.  What if your daughter has familiarity with 6-8 Shakespeare Plays by the end of this time?  Or War and Peace?  Or several of the Hemmingway novels?  Have your child dictate/write two sentences for each chapter to keep the stories straight long term.  This is also a good skill to learn for Lit books in the future: so your dd will have a skeleton to refer back to when writing an essay or giving examples.

If your dd is Middle School level, then lean towards Newberry Award winners.

5) Read some popular science.  I'm glad she's reading Physics and Chemistry, but popular science can help put these into context.

Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!

Napoleon's Buttons

A Coming Plague

There are others.

Eats Shoot and Leaves  If she's not writing Grammar, she can read about it.

6) Geography Games

Use this time to become a world power!