Menu

New to Homeschooling, looking for much needed help..

Guest wwrhodes1

Guest wwrhodes1

We have recently moved to a new state, the public schools here leave something to be desired to say the least..There are a few good private schools in the area but they are expensive esp with us just moving here. So opt #3 is homeschooling and here's where I am lost..
My boys are:
6 (going into 1st),he was in advanced programs, strong reader 2nd-3rd grade level, strong math & science, self teaches a lot, handwriting is his only struggle.

12 (going into 7th), AP everything, reads novels in 2/3 days sometimes less, again very strong math, science, english, social studies/history. He has many awards, National Jr Honors Society, math, science, etc..

Both are very into technology so I would like to find a curriculum that utilizes both books and technology. Does this even exist?
I'm so lost I don't even know where to begin..

What do you mean by technology? Do you mean you want to incorporate reading schematics, mechanical engineering, computer programming, science labs and experiementation, etc.?  Do you mean doing school online on a computer? Are you wanting to specifically add in a few science oriented things to a curriculum that's like the ps curriculum or are you wanting something that incorporates some sort of sciences to a curriculum that is a very different approach to education than the ps systems use?

How much homework have you done on your homeschooling options?  Is there a way you can narrow down for us specifically what you are looking for and what you are trying to avoid based on homeschooling options you've looked at so far? Are you here because you read the Well Trained Mind by Bauer and want to implement some or all of it, or are you here because it's a large homeschooling community that isn't exclusive to Trivium Classical Education Homeschooling? If you're here because of the book, what specifically about it are you wanting to include in your homeschooling?

Are you planning to homeschool temporarily until a private or public school is an option in the next few years and need to mimic school at home?  Are you done with institutional schooling and are open to doing something that is very different than the traditional, textbook, workbook, age graded, segregated subjects approach?

You are clearly not happy with the ps in your area.  Can you specify for us what exactly you don't like about them?  Is there something in particular at the local private school that you do like? Maybe we could help you find something specific to your wants and needs if we had a clearer idea of what it is you and don't like.

Guest wwrhodes1

I was recommended to this forum by another forum that mostly does faith based curriculum, I apologized for my ignorance but I have no idea what The Well Trained Mind is.

We lived in the suburbs of Dallas, we are now in Shreveport. The boys were in ps in Texas, I was less than please this year when my youngest started kindergarten at a magnet school for math, science & technology (he had to take several test to get in). I was assured he would be getting the advanced programs he needed. He did not, his teacher was terrified to have a student who had been reading since the age of 3, self teaches and prefers to create math equations rather than color.. So he basically learned nothing new.

Our other son, excels at everything as well. But at least they have a true honors program for his age. However, I was shocked when I learned that drugs and violence were a constant occurrence at his school and the school and school board did not believe it was important to notify parents that it was an issue. 

Louisiana schools are worse. So yes, We are done with public school. We may put the boys in private school in a year, we may not, I am not sure. We have only been here a month so I have not had a chance to do much research. This is why I am seeking help, advice..

What are the best curriculums for gifted students with strong math & science, love to read & love history? As far as technology, something that can possibly integrate the curriculum online or with the use of iPads? Is there anything like this?

Guest wwrhodes1

I would prefer not to have to piece together a curriculum. Some work alone time would be good, that part doesn't matter. The only reason I was looking for some online programs is because the boys love to work on computers, tablets, anything they can get their hands on to make movies, slideshows, etc..

Techonology

School on a computer or online is not the same as a child learning how to produce technology.  Doing school on a computer or ipad essentially an electronic book or piece of paper.  Your child will learn to produce technology by learning how to program software with a curriculum that specifically teaches programming.  He will learn how to design hardware for computers or robotics or whatever other medium by using a curriculum that specifically teaches mechanical engineering that applies to design in step by step ways.  Don't equate school online or on your ipad as learning about technology-it's not. 

The Best Curriculum

Asking which is the best curriculum is like asking, "What's the best church?" or "What's the best college?" or "Who's the best author?"  It all depends on what your philosophy is and what your goals are.  Each caters to something different.  So, you need to have a working understanding of the general differences out there and your primary goals for your kids.  Every curriculum will teach History, Science, Math and Reading both from the decoding angle (learning to read) and the Literature angle.  You have to know what you want from History and Science and Math and Reading/Literature if you want a good chance of choosing well.

Future Schooling Goals

If you have a particular private school in mind, you may want to ask them what curriculum they're using in each grade and subject.  That way, you can use it now with your kids at home and later they'll transition into that particular private school more smoothly. Private school curricula differ from each other more than ps schools curricula does.  They aren't anywhere near as diverse as homeschooling curricula is, so homeschoolers are going to be slow to throw out ideas for a specific curriculum without a clearer idea of what you're wanting and not wanting.

The Well Trained Mind (TWTM)

This board was originally designed for people using the recommendations in Susan Wise Bauer's book The Well Trained Mind.  It's a Trivium Classical Education Homeschooling approach for 1st-12th grades.  There are other approaches to Classical Education with different methods and recommendations.  Those who use it can use some or all of it to different degrees.  Many use a mix of that approach with others.  Some here don't use it at all, they're just here for the socializing and lifestyle support because it's very welcoming here to all types. Since most people are here because of the book and Susan's online and in person homeschooling recommendations and instruction, you will get a lot of advice from a Classical Education point of view.  Is that what you want?

Welcome.   :)

"The Well Trained Mind,"is a great place to start, as many have said.  A public library may very well have it.  

When I first started, a friend let me borrow Cathy Duff's book that reviews many options.  http://www.amazon.com/I have found Handwriting Without Tears to be a strong program that is very helpful for children struggling with handwriting.  It is a handwriting curriculum written by an occupational therapist and is used widely by public schools for general instruction and remediation.  

101-Top-Picks-Homeschool-Curriculum/dp/0929320158/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1374801786&sr=1-1&keywords=cathy+duffy%27s+101+top+picks+for+homeschool+curriculum  I have also found this book at our local library.

As for what you said regarding your child's handwriting, I have found Handwriting Without Tears to be a strong program that is very helpful for children struggling with handwriting.  It is a handwriting curriculum written by an occupational therapist and is used widely by public schools for general instruction and remediation.  

It's an adventure!

Andrea

I would prefer not to have to piece together a curriculum. Some work alone time would be good, that part doesn't matter. The only reason I was looking for some online programs is because the boys love to work on computers, tablets, anything they can get their hands on to make movies, slideshows, etc..

Welcome to the WTM Boards!

Based on this description (in bold) it sounds to me that you might want to look into K12 or Connections Academy.

K12 has a public and private option, both online. I'm not sure if Connections has the same. With the public option, it's very much like a public school online utilizing the K12 curriculum (and I've heard, depending on the state virtual school, that they do place gifted kids at a higher grade level if placement shows that's what they need).

http://www.k12.com/

http://www.connectionsacademy.com/

I know that there's a K12 gifted homeschooling yahoo group but I cannot for the life of me remember the link. You might be able to google for the link.

I've heard families use K12 or Connections the first year, gain some confidence, then wing it on their own (piecing together curriculum) the following years. We didn't take that route with our advanced child because he doesn't do well with anything that expects sequential learning. But it could be something for you to start off with. I am quite sure that K12 and Connections utillize both online and textual components.

ETA: K12 offers AP-level courses as well.

Guest wwrhodes1

What about the Calvert School? I was informed by k12 that they would not test my 1st grader and my 7th grader would need to travel all over the state for tests.

What about the Calvert School? I was informed by k12 that they would not test my 1st grader and my 7th grader would need to travel all over the state for tests.

I don't have any experience with Calvert...hopefully someone else will add their experience. Honestly, one of the reasons I piece together curriculum is to avoid all this headache. We use a tutor for math, distance education programs for foreign language and science and wing the rest with a bunch of quality textbooks and whole books.

For AP level courses, you might want to also look into PA Homeschoolers.

BTW, if the K12 approach still appeals to you, you can purchase their courses individually and I believe you wouldn't have to go through the testing hoops. It will be more expensive.

I forgot to add...if you haven't already, do look into Art of Problem Solving for math. They have the online class option, an online adaptive software called Alcumus (Free), discussion forums as well as text-based curriculum. Good stuff!

Who is doing the teaching?

Do you want to do the actual instructing and explaining each concept in each subject? Do you want a text that explains everything directly to the student?  Do you want an instructor to explain it online or on video? 

What is mom's role?

Do you want to do the feedback and grading of each assignment that was selected by the curriculum designer?  Do you want to make sure your child has completed on his own each assignment the online school teacher selected and see that it's turned it into an instructor online for grading?  Do you want to decide what to study and how to study it for one or more subjects?

Who decides what and when?

Do you want to have a complete pre-packaged curriculum that includes texts and assignments and teacher guides and answer keys for each subject for each grade done for you by someone else? Do you want a general plan of what needs to be covered when done for you by someone else and you come up with assignments and seek out materials on your own that accomplish those goals?  Do you want to spontaneously pursue your children's interests as they come up and teach them how to research and learn on their own at their own pace, in their own way?  

How standard do you want it?

Do you want all the standard subjects covered in a ps or do you want to include other things like Latin, Formal Logic, Computer Programming, Carpentry, etc.? Do you want more time on some subjects and less on others?  Do you want equal time and depth in each subject?  Do you want subjects treated separately or do you want an approach that integrates subjects together?

I would start by looking for a local homeschool group.  They usually have larger meetings during the late summer when many are getting back into school.  You should find support and help there.  Next, I would check out books, not just one, but multiple books from the library on homeschooling.  There are many good books on various curricula that should help you get started in the right direction.  You need to find out what the homeschooling laws are in your state, check into that on the Homeschool Legal Defense Association website. 

It can all seem overwhelming to begin with.  Take your time to do the research and find out what you want for your children.  Someone else mentioned Cathy Duffy, she has a book about learning styles that suggests curricula to correlate with that, and a website.  You may also want to check into Abeka Homeschool and Bob Jones University Press who have DVD and other options. 

I began with a packaged/boxed/all-in-one curriculum years ago when I first began.  There is no harm or shame in starting there, and even staying if that is what works for your family.  I do think the research would benefit you as a beginner because there is so much information and everyone has their opinions about what is best.

I would suggest you do a keyword search in the K-8 forum (title only) for things mentioned here (like "boxed" would be a good keyword). Also when you're ready to ask questions about a particular curriculum (after you have done a search.... tons of info there) then I would suggest that you ask on the K-8 board or the Logic stage board(for the older).

Also, are you looking for religious curriculum(if so "young Earth" or "old Earth"? That answer alone will help other posters with recommendations.