Menu

Having your child learn the piano ? (old or new)

Diannab

Okay, my daughters both love music. We are starting recorder lessons this year. It has been suggested that they are at good ages to do the piano as well. I have a 6 and 8 year old. My question is this:

I have an antique piano (1911) that is tuned and in good working order. The person that tuned it stated that he would not let a new student learn on it because the pitch will throw him off. He stated new students should always learn on newer pianos because they can be tuned to a certain level, where as older pianos cannot have this done.

I would like to hear your thoughts. :) Can they learn on the piano we have? Or should I try to give it away and buy a new on for them to learn on ?

TIA!

I don't really know, but he is probably right. However I would not purchase a new piano for them until you know for sure they will stick with it. I'm starting my son in piano this year as well and his instructor said to just purchase a keyboard for now, and if in a few years he is still interested to invest in a piano.

I think he probably means that the piano is "flat." That means all of the notes are in tune with each other, but they are lower than the standard tuning. So if you try to play with another instrument, the piano will not be in tune with the other instrument. If you like the sound of your piano and the keys are in good working order, I don't see any reason to buy a new piano unless you want to be able to play with another instrument.

I used to have an older piano with the same kind of tuning problem. Mine had a full, beautiful tone and was completely enjoyable to play. I had no problem singing to it and no trouble transitioning to other pianos for performances.

Hope this helps a little. Good luck in making your decision.

Suzanne.

It is an interesting comment (from the tuner). I imagine he means that their "ear" will not develop with the correct pitch. I could see this being an issue for someone who might become a serious musician. It is interesting - not something I had thought about before. I might ask some piano teachers and some musicians for their thoughts on that.

My girls began piano lessons just before they turned 5, so they actually learned to read music before they learned to read English, which was kind of funny. They are now 11 and still taking lessons and playing daily. We did not have a lovely old piano, so we were in the market to purchase one. The thing that was stressed to us was to be sure to get one with lovely tone and with really nice action. Nice action was stressed so that it would not be frustrating to their tiny fingers, and so they could learn proper hand position (not having to fight a difficult action). Lovely tone so that they would be making beautiful sounds.

We took the plunge and got a good piano, not a keyboard. I guess I am a purist there. A piano has soul.

Back to your question, I'd ask around more and see what other people in the profession think.

-Lydia

Okay, I think that's a bunch of hooey.

Our piano is from the turn of the century. We did have to spend about $2000 to fix it up (it needed new pegs so that it could stay in tune - depending on how often a piano's been fixed this way already, some that old could require a new peg board, which is more $$ - you can replace pegs themselves three times before you need a new board). I think it also got new strings. But now it plays really nicely. Old instruments are like good wine- they get better with age. :)

Stradivarius are still considered the best violins - they are, what, about 500 years old?

You should get a really good tuner in there. I have never heard anyone say you had to get a new piano to be in tune (although there is the possibility that fixing the old one right might cost practically what a new one would - but y'know, I'd probably go with the fixing the old one unless it were actually more expensive).

We had an old piano that could not be tuned as high as normal because of some cracks but it could be tuned "to itself" so it sounded OK when we played it. We eventually replaced it with a newer one.

Concert C has actually changed over the years, so older pianos weren't even designed for the current pitch, but if the board is OK, he should be able to tune it to the current pitch.

Okay, I think that's a bunch of hooey.

Ditto. We have an 1898 concert upright that is "normally" tuned (meaning it sounds like any other piano I know). It plays beautifully.

I know there can be significant structural issues with antique pianos that make it imperative to have one professionally evaluated before you purchase, but if yours is in good working order, I can't imagine why the tuner is taking exception. Did he then offer to sell you a new one? Or buy yours?

And I also agree, pianos have soul. I have trouble "connecting" to shiny black ones. We bought ours from the grand daughter of the original owner (well, more precisely, the child for whom it was purchased). It has lived all over the country and has been played by four generations before coming to live with us. Good energy. :thumbup1: