Menu

Texting during play dates?

In the Rain

Wow, to me that is extremely rude and I would have a hard time inviting her over again. My oldest uses my phone to call people sometimes. He hasn't learned to text yet but I could see letting him occasionally but not while you are supposed to be visiting someone. Also I can't imagine giving free range of a smart phone to a 9 year old. :huh:

Just for a slightly different perspective...

My dd was in ps in 4th grade (9 yo). She didn't have a cell phone and wanted one because "all the other kids had one". I told her that I didn't believe that. She surveyed the class. I was right, not everyone else had one. There was one other child, from a family of Russian immigrants where the parents didn't speak English yet, that didn't have a cell phone. They were the only ones.

I wouldn't find it at all surprising for a 9 yo to be carrying a cell phone or to have enough friends who carry them to text a lot. My dd and her friends didn't "play" much by the time they were 9. They talked and giggled, exchanged clothes, did hair, but toys were already a thing of the past. 

None of that really impacts that there were poor manners involved in ignoring the ones you are with and especially in telling about a party your dd wasn't invited to. However, I do see the cell phone usage as normal. Sadly normal.

• 3 weeks later...