Menu

AAS to R&S Spelling?

Laura Cook

My oldest just finished Step 16 in AAS 2. I am considering a switch to something that he might be able to do a little more independently. He is a natural speller and, though we like AAS, it just feels like overkill. What level in R&S would you suggest we begin with? Do they have placement tests? I'm not seeing them! Thanks!

I would hesitate to place a child solely by word difficulty. Look instead at the exercises the child is expected to do with those words. A good speller could be placed too high and not have the maturity to complete the rest of the book. The strength of the program is in those exercises;the word lists can be deceiving.

I would hesitate to place a child solely by word difficulty. Look instead at the exercises the child is expected to do with those words. A good speller could be placed too high and not have the maturity to complete the rest of the book. The strength of the program is in those exercises;the word lists can be deceiving.

True! Don't place your child too high, at the higher grades it gets more complicated

When I switched from mid AAS 2 to R&S spelling I started with R&S spelling 2. My oldest is not a natural speller (natural reader instead), and the switch went well. He spells really well at this point; R&S is a great spelling program. I do find that as long as they can read well they can do the lessons independently and then I give them the spelling tests. He could possibly start in 3 since he spells easily.

I'd probably guess 3 also, though it wouldn't hurt to zoom through 2 if you wanted to. Level 2 doesn't have as much phonics work as 3 and up.

We went from halfway through AAS3 to R&S3, and that was a good transition. We're almost halfway through 4 now, and yes, the exercises get tricky. So I wouldn't go any higher than 3 to start. Take a look at both and see which one looks more appropriate.

I agree!

Last year my daughter finished up AAS 2, and she was doing wonderful.  She was remembering all the rules, and getting 100% spelling all the words on paper.  I then switched her to R&S, and she did ok at first, but then started get a LOT wrong on the tests.  My 12 year old did good with R&S though, but he has always learned spelling easily.  I am planning to probably either go back to AAS for my daughter next year, or try Phonetic Zoo.  The better plan would be for her to finish AAS 3 before going to Phonetic Zoo.  My experience with independent curriculum's is they are not so great when it is a subject the child struggles in.  I wish we hadn't switched last year, and we would be further along with AAS right now.

The OP said her child is a natural speller.

I know...I was saying that referring to why it might have not worked well for my daughter because she is not a natural speller.  I also said it worked well for my son who is a natural speller.

We are switching from AAS to R&S this year. We are in the middle of AAS 4 and I am not sure if we will finish it or not but after we are moving onto R&S 4. I plan to go through at least AAS 3 with my ds- I definitely think AAS was worth it for this levels. I am uncertain about 4...I would definitely finish 2. :)