Menu

Moving to a communication mindset

Wilma

Hi, y'all! I'm hoping for a little help or a different perspective as I'm working with my gals...

We're doing Spanish, mostly via me talking with them, but with a side of verb conjugations, picture books and games. Lately we've been doing lunch in Spanish, which I imagined would be fun. My goal with that exercise is to help the girls understand that you don't have to be able to speak perfectly, or even have an extensive vocabulary to communicate effectively.

One of my girls (kid2, 6yo) is hung up on it. Always, "Cómo se dice 'may I please have some more goldifsh'?" Or what-have-you. There are words in there she knows, but she's not getting the idea of piecing things together, using signs plus the words she actually has.

How can I help her move from the super-literal translating-every-word-or-it's-useless mindset to a mindset of just making it work? Is that something that'll come with maturity? Can I teach it? Is there some way for me to model it?

We do german and chinese. For chinese because hubby and I frequently converse in chinese with each other all along, our boys have pick up the sentence structure for informal communication. For german, watching children cartoons on youtube helps a lot in picking up sentence structure for informal speech. It takes time and exposure.

• 2 months later...

Teach essential phrases. Its great that you are focusing on lunch time in Spanish because it gives you a great jumping off point.

Teach her the phrases that she needs or wants to know and once she has those types of phrases down, show her how to mix and match her vocabulary to say more things, for example if she learns to say: "I don't want this" and "I want...." then with a couple of vocabulary words she can say.

I don't want this sandwich, I want that sandwich...

May I please have some...

I wan't...

I don't wan't this.

I don't wan't....

He/she wants....

Pass me....

Does anyone want my....(sandwich/cookie/cracker, etc....)

Where is the...

Who took my...

Mom, is it time for lunch yet?

Mom can I make/have....instead of____