Menu

Nook was erased by B&N. All books deleted. What's the best device on the market? I want to switch.

Harriet Vane

I am so sorry that happened to you, that is just awful. 

I have 3 different types of ereaders in the house plus a tablet so I do keep everything in Calibre.  I also keep Calibre portable and a copy of my library on a flash drive.

I don't believe in DRM so I do strip it from everything I purchase.  I bought it, I paid for it and if I want to have it on two different types of ereaders than it has to be de-drm'ed to convert it to a different format. 

I also keep my Calibre library folder backed up on an external harddrive as well as Dropbox, I've spent too much money and time and I would be just sick if I lost my library.

My backups have backups for all my files.

Thanks from me also, for the info about Calibre.

BTW I did a bit of reading about the Kindle today (after seeing this thread) and I learnt that we can lend our Kindle books to other Amazon users for 14 days!

You can't lend every book, only the ones that the publishers allow. It isn't something that amazon has control over. But for the ones that are lendable, you an lend from your manage my kindle page.

I am the author of several Kindle books.  It's always good to read user opinions and experiences.

OP, I'm sorry to hear what happened with your Nook.  That's awful.  I can't imagine why the software update would do that.   It is possible that the data is still there, and could be restored.  You might want to search on the internet for a solution to restore your books.

I suspect Kindle will be dominant in the marketplace in part because they're so easy for authors to work with.

Someone asked about the legality of backing up purchased DRM digital books.  As an author, I have no problem with this at all.  IMO, it would be fair use.   I see no difference between backing up a purchased book and backing up purchased software.  I even back up purchased movies after having to replace too many DVDs the kids scratched or broke. 

As far as I'm concerned as a user, if I bought the media (movie, music, book, or software), I should have a right to back it up and use it on any device in my house.  I've had computers suddenly die (lightning strike, bad hard drive, etc.), and I shouldn't lose my software investment along with the hardware. 

I find it highly unlikely that any author or publisher would pursue a case over such a thing.  Suing people is expensive.   Thanks for asking, though.

GA Cub Mom

DH is the electronics librarian for a major university. This is the nature of e-books, you don't really control them. What happened isn't limited to B&N.  Amazon could have caused it just as easily, and you would have got the same (lack of) response

My kindle was having major problems, I have no idea why, and the first thing I did when it started working again was to copy my stuff to my laptop. I am also thinking of making a list of titles putting it somewhere in case it crashes again. I have many, many PDF files on my kindle and I was pretty sure I had lost them all. I didn't, but it was a good wake up call.