Menu

Famous Men by Memoria Press question.

bnwhitaker

Im using the Veritas Time Line cards and it recommends these two books Rome & Greece. 

Do you think it's more of a 7th grade book or a 4th grade book?  Im thinking of waiting on these two until they are older but don't want them to miss out on something while they are doing the timeline cards.  Any opinions on this?

IMO, the text of the Famous Men books themselves are more 4th grade reading level than 7th grade.  But if you were using the texts alongside MP's student workbook and TM that were written for the Famous Men series, then that's a full program that is more appropriate for logic stage than 4th grade.  Some sources rate them as for ages 8 and up.  You can "look inside" on Amazon.  Perhaps you can have your kids read them now and again in middle school with more time spent on activities/questions on the second round, like some people do with SOTW.

The one for Rome was used in my two sons' co op Latin class last year.  The teacher read it aloud, and the kids took notes on it.  They really enjoyed it and retained a lot of information from it.  My boys were grades 4th and 6th last year.  My 4th grader was the youngest child in the class.  Most of the kids were 5th-7th.