Menu

Literature/LA for 3rd Grade

DS will be 9 in September and we just started 3rd grade this week.  He is having a really hard time with the Memoria Press literature guide for The Moffats. He is an excellent reader, but the vocabulary and questions in the guide are really throwing him. Honestly, I think a lot of it is that he just doesn't like it and if he doesn't want to do something it is VERY hard to get him to do it.  I'm wondering if I should just drop the lit. guide.  I'm not sure what I need to cover for literature in 3rd grade.  I'm trying to keep him up to date with Texas state standards because he may want to go back to school for 4th.  His language arts for this year includes:

1) MCT LA Island (currently doing Grammar Island which he loves)

2) Rod & Staff Spelling 3

3) Pentime Cursive 3

He has been identified as gifted, and he is very stubborn.  I really think I need to find something he will enjoy, but that will cover things like author's purpose and using context clues.  Should I drop the MP lit. guide, and if so, what should I add to this LA program?

I like both the Mosdos books and K12's literature strand in their language arts courses (I'm not as thrilled with the other strands; they aren't bad, just uninspired).  With a gifted child, I'd use a higher grade level than his grade by age.

If you want to discuss books in that manner, Deconstructing Penguins is a great book for you to read to learn how to discuss and identify those things in children's books. It is possible he just doesn't like The Moffats. I can't get my book-loving daughter to finish it.

I am going to start the Kolbe guides with my dd9 this year (4th grade) and see how it goes. I don't think it goes into depth like author's purpose though, more just comprehension.

None of my children have ever finished The Moffats. They just don't like the book. So, it could be that. We use Kolbe Literature and do the chapter comprehension questions and vocabulary orally. The only writing we do is the weekly paper (1-2 paragraphs) and the exam & book report at the end of each book.

For third grade we are going to do lots of reading with chapter books that go along with our history and add book projects etc using this book http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Independent-Response-Activities-Organizers-/dp/0439309611/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373581715&sr=8-1&keywords=independent+reader+response

In order to be sure we are covering all of the state required "reading skills" we are going to add in the EPS Making Connections curriculum as a supplement each week http://eps.schoolspecialty.com/products/details.cfm?seriesonly=3304M. It covers things like identifying details, sequencing, main idea, compare/contrast, drawing conclusions/predicting outcomes, fact/opinion, cause & effect, figurative language, and bias/prejudice.  We will then work on applying those strategies to other literature we are reading.

We will also do a cursive, grammar, and writing curriculum to round out our 3rd grade LA.