Menu

Astronomy as a Physical Science

My daughter is going (well that's may at this point as I'm frustrated already) to a charter school this year. They are offering Astronomy as a physical science. Now this does NOT meet the NC graduation requirements for physical science according to DPI. However, the principal "says" that the school received special permission from DPI because they are a new charter. Of course, I am trying to verify that from DPI.

Now, this doesn’t affect my daughter personally as we have her placed in Biology and plan to take Chemistry and AP Environmental Science to meet her earth science requirement (provided they hire a chemistry teacher before she graduates –sigh –if not, then back to homeschool). However, the principal is really pushing this Astronomy class.

It’s my thoughts is that  this is not a good choice even if they got special permission, First of all, what if you need to transfer some unexpected reason. All the other local high school consider it an earth science elective and will the DPI special permission “transfer.†More importantly, will the colleges accept this as a physical science? Does anyone have any knowledge or input about colleges accepting this as a physical science?

I don't think the way they are teaching it is physic based. When I took it in college, it was mostly math and physics and I needed both to get through the course. However, this course doesn't seem to be that type of astronomy course. This is where they are suggesting people who don't like math or don't do well in math to go.

From the Course catalog (and this is an exact wording at this school as well as schools who put as earth science elective) -except the 9th grade part..

Science

Astronomy

The underlying principles of life, earth, and physical science are integrated in this study of the universe. Historical astronomy, the solar system, comets, constellations, extraterrestrial life, and the evolution of stars are the major topics of study. Observational astronomy skills and critical thinking are fostered through the use of laboratory and field activities. This is not a math heavy class and is recommended for students in the ninth grade.

It sounds like you have enough doubts that you shouldn't let your child take it.

Charters come and go.  

I wouldn't take the principal's word for it either.  Get it in writing from NC department

of education or don't take it.  You don't want surprises later, when it can't be fixed.

College-wise it won't matter.  As long as you have Biology, Physics, Chemistry,

and any other science elective, you will be fine in terms of colleges.

Except for Biology, I wouldn't bother with any science class that says "This is not

a math heavy class" in its course description.

I don't think the way they are teaching it is physic based. When I took it in college, it was mostly math and physics and I needed both to get through the course. However, this course doesn't seem to be that type of astronomy course. This is where they are suggesting people who don't like math or don't do well in math to go.

From the Course catalog (and this is an exact wording at this school as well as schools who put as earth science elective) -except the 9th grade part..

Science

Astronomy

The underlying principles of life, earth, and physical science are integrated in this study of the universe. Historical astronomy, the solar system, comets, constellations, extraterrestrial life, and the evolution of stars are the major topics of study. Observational astronomy skills and critical thinking are fostered through the use of laboratory and field activities. This is not a math heavy class and is recommended for students in the ninth grade.

It sounds like you have enough doubts that you shouldn't let your child take it.

Charters come and go.  

I wouldn't take the principal's word for it either.  Get it in writing from NC department

of education or don't take it.  You don't want surprises later, when it can't be fixed.

College-wise it won't matter.  As long as you have Biology, Physics, Chemistry,

and any other science elective, you will be fine in terms of colleges.

Oh she's not taking it. It was never an option. She's taking Biology, Chemistry, and AP Environmental Science.

It's just that I keep talking to so many kids and parents who are taking it without any concept of what they need for college, etc. It sounds fun and easy. There was no academic advising about this. It's driving me crazy. They don't seem to understand that we have 28 possible credits and 27 are required already. There is no room to fix a mistake that sounded fun!

I wrote DPI about the special permission. The science person said she doesn't know without knowing who gave the permission. I am waiting to hear from the person in charge of charter schools.

I do not see the issue with "this is not a math heavy class". In a typical school, *NO* 9th grader could be taking a "math heavy" class, because they have not yet studied algebra!

I am currently reviewing university textbooks for astronomy in preparation for tecahing a class. A university level Introduction to Astronomy has barely any math beyond basic algebra; it is only when you get into Astrophysics for upper level classes for majors that it gets math heavy. I am not sure where you would expect heavy math in an astronomy course, since a lot of astronomy is still phenomenological.

A sequence of astronomy (concurrently with algebra), physics, chemistry and biology looks very sensible to me for any student who can not take an algebra based physics course as a freshman right away because of a lack of math prerequisites.

I do not see the issue with "this is not a math heavy class". In a typical school, *NO* 9th grader could be taking a "math heavy" class, because they have not yet studied algebra!

I am currently reviewing university textbooks for astronomy in preparation for tecahing a class. A university level Introduction to Astronomy has barely any math beyond basic algebra; it is only when you get into Astrophysics for upper level classes for majors that it gets math heavy. I am not sure where you would expect heavy math in an astronomy course, since a lot of astronomy is still phenomenological.

A sequence of astronomy (concurrently with algebra), physics, chemistry and biology looks very sensible to me for any student who can not take an algebra based physics course as a freshman right away because of a lack of math prerequisites.

That is a good point.  I guess I was thinking of DS, who took Algebra 1 in 8th and Geometry and

Algebra-based physics this

past year.  I just bought the Schaum's Astronomy and it has nice straightforward very simple Algebra,

but lots of it.  

I guess that's what I meant by "math heavy"...meaning lots of math.  

I did not mean "heavy math," which to

me would mean advanced

math (maybe Calculus and beyond). 

I didn't realize it was meant for 9th graders.

This is an art school and we have 27 required courses out of 28. If you take astronomy as your physical science, you will not have room to take chemistry or physics because of the required earth science or AP Environmental and required Biology. Without astronomy, you still have to pick either chemistry OR physics but can't have both.

There is only one free elective -so you have to decide whether to use to take an additional physical science OR a third year of a foreign language OR use it on an elective in the arts not falling in your endorsed arts area.