Menu

Science and history - Middle school

J9Mommy

Hi.

What are your top choices for middle school history and science ? I want to start preparing for the fact that high school will be here before I know it. He is my oldest and the words, '6th' grade are making me sweat. Haha.

I would also prefer a secular curriculum if possible.

Thank you :)

P.S. We have not done any formal history and limited formal science. Just for reference. Science wise, I am not worried about him being behind at all. We do a lot of 'un-schooling' science.

We love SOTW and I think volumes 3 & 4 would be great for a sixth grader. The earlier volumes are aimed at younger kids but if you do a lot of the recommended supplemental reading it would still work. By 6th grade you could even have him do SOTW independently. 

For science we've never really used a curriculum, we just followed SWB's 4 year rotation and chose books and activities based on that. Since you say you've never really used a science curriculum, just go with it. Pick a topic (astronomy, human anatomy, whatever) and go empty the library of books. Read them, have him narrate or do reports, look up websites and activities. 

The only open and go science curriculum I've worked with is Apologia and it's not secular, so that doesn't help. 

Hi.

What are your top choices for middle school history and science ? I want to start preparing for the fact that high school will be here before I know it. He is my oldest and the words, '6th' grade are making me sweat. Haha.

I would also prefer a secular curriculum if possible.

Thank you :)

P.S. We have not done any formal history and limited formal science. Just for reference. Science wise, I am not worried about him being behind at all. We do a lot of 'un-schooling' science.

Here is what we are using next year for history and science:

Social Studies

A Message of Ancient Days- Houghton Mifflin Social Studies, Grade 6 (the same book is used by Calvert for grade 6)

Prentice Hall Readings in Social Studies: Ancient Times

World Geography and You, Book 2 Eastern Hemisphere 

Science

Conceptual Physical Science with the Conceptual Physical Science Practice Book

Story of Science: Aristotle Leads the Way with Student Guide

The middle school history titles from K12 are the big hit on the boards at the moment- The Human Odyssey Volumes 1-3. K12s condensed 4 book version of Hakim's History of US has been mentioned a few times as well.

BFSU Science, Science Explorer, Holt, CPO, Plato, ScienceFusion, CK-12 Science Flexbooks are all mentioned. Look for posts by lewelma. She has described in detail her approach to science.

On the logic stage board there is a planning thread for 6th grade. Maybe that would be helpful as well.

HTH-

Mandy

Here is what we are using next year for history and science:

Social Studies

A Message of Ancient Days- Houghton Mifflin Social Studies, Grade 6 (the same book is used by Calvert for grade 6)

Prentice Hall Readings in Social Studies: Ancient Times

World Geography and You, Book 2 Eastern Hemisphere 

Science

Conceptual Physical Science with the Conceptual Physical Science Practice Book

Story of Science: Aristotle Leads the Way with Student Guide

The middle school history titles from K12 are the big hit on the boards at the moment- The Human Odyssey Volumes 1-3. K12s condensed 4 book version of Hakim's History of US has been mentioned a few times as well.

BFSU Science, Science Explorer, Holt, CPO, Plato, ScienceFusion, CK-12 Science Flexbooks are all mentioned. Look for posts by lewelma. She has described in detail her approach to science.

On the logic stage board there is a planning thread for 6th grade. Maybe that would be helpful as well.

HTH-

Mandy

Thank you. This was very helpful :)  Exactly what I needed as a starting point.

We enjoyed Joy Hakim's History of Science.  The Quest guides were erratic.  Some of the activities were interesting and some weren't at all.

It's been a challenge to find a great science program so I don't have a recommendation, but I have a lead.  DD is about begin Science Fusion. There is a write in text and a lot of online content (videos, virtual experiments, alternate teaching plans, lab manual for numerous hands-on experiments.).  It's looks pretty cool.  I got a good deal at HSBC, but when I saw a rep at a convention she gave me 20% off so you might be able to get that if you make a call.  http://saxonhomeschool.hmhco.com/en/products/default.htm?level2Code=M0010&level3Code=M31099