Menu

Question for sellers who use Paypal

I haven't sold any curriculum in a while, but we are moving, so it is time to de-clutter my shelves. I checked the Paypal website to learn about their policies for sellers. It indicates that sellers have to pay 2.9% + $0.30 per transaction if the buy pays them through Paypal. I used to pay sellers via the "Personal" tab funded from my bank account whenever I bought items, so no additional fees were incurred for the seller, but it appears like that option no longer exists. It looks like the only "free" payment that can be received by a seller is if it comes from family or friends. Is that correct? With rising Media Mail costs and Paypal's seller fees, it doesn't leave much room for profit, so how do you figure out your sales price? I have a lot of items that are in "new" condition because I overbought, so I'd love to be able to re-coup as much as I can while still pricing in a range that will entice buyer's to buy. Thanks for any advice you can give.

There is no fee-free option for selling now. I either price the fees into the purchase price or try to sell items locally and donate them if I can't sell for a profit after shipping & fees.

Unfortunately, I think this is why many people are not selling their used books. Sellers will not sell used unless it is worth it and with shipping so high, it just isn't cost effective many times anymore. :(

I price my items to sell, period. My general goal is to make at least $3 a book, below that I just donate them to the library and take the tax write-off. Yes, fees and postage have gone up, but I don't get any $ back with it sitting there. If I wait too long to list something I'm never going to use, it may go to another edition and be really hard to ever sell. My goal is always to sell as much as possible during the summer months because the volume is best then and my schedule is more open.

So I look at Amazon Marketplace, Rainbow, and the swap boards and pick a price that seems reasonable to move things out. I actually prefer Amazon because they collect the $ and you can leave it listed for months and months at a time. The reality is that unless it is the lowest price or nearly the lowest price, it isn't going to move though. If your goal is to get it out of your house, you need to be on the low end of pricing.

I just listed the last of my books for the summer this morning, so I'm winding it down at this point. I've sold over 30 just in June though and hit my summer target yesterday, so now I just maintain my listings until next May.

Your mileage may vary...

Never make your buyers use personal. It puts you both at risk and is against paypal's terms of service. Price them to sell and include the fees-it's tacky to ask them to cover fees for something that is your responsibility. Really, the fees are not much, and if you use paypal to buy shipping, it will save you a lot of money.

Never make your buyers use personal. It puts you both at risk and is against paypal's terms of service. Price them to sell and include the fees-it's tacky to ask them to cover fees for something that is your responsibility. Really, the fees are not much, and if you use paypal to buy shipping, it will save you a lot of money.

Can you clarify the last statement you made that if you use Paypal to buy shipping, it will save you a lot of money? I'm not aware of that option. Thanks for your input everyone. I appreciate it.

Can you clarify the last statement you made that if you use Paypal to buy shipping, it will save you a lot of money? I'm not aware of that option. Thanks for your input everyone. I appreciate it.

I checked on Paypal website about printing/paying for labels through them, but I have a question. Does Paypal allow you to ship via Media Mail? In the past, I have used the PO's online service to pay/print labels, but it doesn't allow me to use their online service if I want ship items via Media Mail, so I need to go to the PO in person. Does Paypal allow you to ship Media Mail? If so, is the shipping rate the same as at the PO, or do they tack on an extra fee for using their service? Thanks for your help. Marla

I checked on Paypal website about printing/paying for labels through them, but I have a question. Does Paypal allow you to ship via Media Mail? In the past, I have used the PO's online service to pay/print labels, but it doesn't allow me to use their online service if I want ship items via Media Mail, so I need to go to the PO in person. Does Paypal allow you to ship Media Mail? If so, is the shipping rate the same as at the PO, or do they tack on an extra fee for using their service? Thanks for your help. Marla

Yes, you can use Media Mail, and yes, it's the same price as at the post office. It's a fabulous, easy-to-use service, IMO.

Yes, you can use Media Mail, and yes, it's the same price as at the post office. It's a fabulous, easy-to-use service, IMO.

Yup. I thought it was slightly cheaper, too? Or maybe it used to be? Either way it saves you tons of time in the USPS.

I just sold an item and produced the shipping label via Paypal. The Media Mail cost was the same as the rate quoted on the USPS website. What a time saver! I despise standing in line at the PO. So glad I asked you wise ones for advice! Thanks so much!