Menu

The Great Gatsby movie -- CGI effects....

Stacia

Though I had mixed feelings about the recent Great Gatsby movie (parts were great, others not so much), I think this is an interesting video which shows the extent of CGI effects in the movie.

Some of the effects are very obvious in the movie, but some were not really obvious (after watching this video). It does give me a greater appreciation & respect for the actor's craft to be convincing, even when he/she is standing in front of absolutely nothing....

http://vimeo.com/68451324

Thanks for sharing this, Stacia. I haven't seen the film but my teens have. I showed this to them and they thought it was pretty neat.

"Wait!" exclaimed dd. "You mean his house wasn't even REAL?!!"

And my son thanked me for getting that song stuck in his head all over again. "But that's okay, 'cause I like it."

Now I have to get busy and read the book again. I vowed to do that before seeing the film (and I guess I've already missed my chance for seeing it on the big screen).

Thanks for sharing this, Stacia. I haven't seen the film but my teens have. I showed this to them and they thought it was pretty neat.

"Wait!" exclaimed dd. "You mean his house wasn't even REAL?!!"

And my son thanked me for getting that song stuck in his head all over again. "But that's okay, 'cause I like it."

Now I have to get busy and read the book again. I vowed to do that before seeing the film (and I guess I've already missed my chance for seeing it on the big screen).

That was kind of my same reaction re: the house. What? It wasn't even there? :tongue_smilie: D'oh! (I mean, in the movie, some of the effects are so over-the-top, it is obviously CGI. But, after seeing the video, there were a few things that surprised me....)

The book is fabulous. I love it. I was 50/50 on the film, I think. Parts I loved, other things I didn't.

As a comparison to the green/blue screen video, here's just the regular trailer.

Wouldn't it be fun to work in the movie industry...? Neat stuff. (Yeah, I know there's a lot of tedium & boredom & that industry too. But, I've always loved 'the movies'.)

I'm reminded of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=clnozSXyF4k

More here:

"You’d Be Surprised How Much CGI Goes Into Your Favorite Shows"

http://www.geekscape.net/youd-be-surprised-how-much-cgi-goes-into-your-favorite-shows

I realize that CGI today is used to keep costs down and to deal with problems such as equipment and buildings not available, but generally I prefer less CGI, as that shows the craft of the director and others making the film or show.