Menu

Anyone operate as an 08 school in Ohio?

I'm thinking about registering as an 08 school this year. I'm tired of having to have assessments done, they are great source of anxiety for me and I worry about them constantly. There doesn't seem to be very many people who operate as an 08 school in my area so I thought I might have better luck here getting information. If you are an 08 school have you ever had any problems? thanks!

Have you been doing standardized testing or the portfolio reviews? The 08 law requires a degree, doesn't it? And it opens you up to health inspections and things that, although they might not do them, they have the legal right to do. You also lose your privacy, as your info will appear on state lists of 08 schools. You can get the CAT for $20-25. Usually Seton or someone shows up at the conventions with a deal, so I sign up then. Not a big deal, takes just a few hours, and you're done.

You can also contact CHEO and learn the pros and cons. I think at one point there was talk about being eligible for the DE funds if you did 08, but I'm not sure that panned out. The people I know usually sign up with the ps when they want free DE. Beyond that, on a person level, I think it's wise to homeschool with some level of accountability. Most schools test anyway, and I think it's WISE to test. SWB tells in her convention talks that JW tested them CONSTANTLY, like multiple times a year. So no matter what, you need to be testing. It's no big deal then to take that composite score and send it in along with your plans for the year.

Have you been doing standardized testing or the portfolio reviews? The 08 law requires a degree, doesn't it? And it opens you up to health inspections and things that, although they might not do them, they have the legal right to do. You also lose your privacy, as your info will appear on state lists of 08 schools. You can get the CAT for $20-25. Usually Seton or someone shows up at the conventions with a deal, so I sign up then. Not a big deal, takes just a few hours, and you're done.

You can also contact CHEO and learn the pros and cons. I think at one point there was talk about being eligible for the DE funds if you did 08, but I'm not sure that panned out. The people I know usually sign up with the ps when they want free DE. Beyond that, on a person level, I think it's wise to homeschool with some level of accountability. Most schools test anyway, and I think it's WISE to test. SWB tells in her convention talks that JW tested them CONSTANTLY, like multiple times a year. So no matter what, you need to be testing. It's no big deal then to take that composite score and send it in along with your plans for the year.

I'm not sure what is all required by law for an 08 school. There is a lady locally who has 13 children and decided to register as an 08 school rather than having to mess with assessments or testing for all of her kids. She has never had any problems with it. I need to talk to her about it some more.

We do porfolio assessments. My dc wouldn't do well on a standardized test. I don't believe in testing either so it's never been an option for us. I thought for standardized testing you had to take them to a school or have a professional administer is? I might feel differently if I could administer the test myself.

CHEO probably has the 08 law info on their website, or you can find it by googling. I know you have to have a bachelor's to do it, so that's thing one. And yes, there are standardized tests you can do at home. The requirements vary with each test. BJU has a testing service that offers the Iowa, ITBS, Stanford, etc. Some of those you can administer yourself and some you can't. The CAT you can do yourself. There are plenty of options that are affordable that you can do yourself. You don't need a degree or any special qualifications for the CAT, so it's the simplest one.

If your kids have diagnosed LDs and recommended accommodations (extra time on testing, etc.), then you can use those accommodations on the standardized testing.

We do porfolio assessments. My dc wouldn't do well on a standardized test. I don't believe in testing either so it's never been an option for us. I thought for standardized testing you had to take them to a school or have a professional administer is? I might feel differently if I could administer the test myself.

I can't help with info about 08 schools but...

You only have to test at the 25th percentile in Ohio. That is pretty low and barring any LDs pretty attainable, I think.

I order the CAT from Family Learning Organization. They mail me the materials, I proctor it myself, send it back and receive the scores within a week. Easy peasy. You do not have to go to a school or have a professional administer it.

"Non-Chartered, Non-Tax Supported Schools (NCNT) are schools that, because of truly held religious beliefs, choose to not be chartered by the State Board of Education."

http://education.ohio.gov/Topics/School-Choice/Private-Schools-1/Non-Chartered-Non-Tax-School-Information

08 schools were not created to allow homeschooling families to get around the homeschooling regs or for homeschooling families to get PSEO money. I think it's putting homeschoolers at risk if you game the system by declaring yourself an 08 school when you are not.

Tara

Here's a link to tease out some of the issues.  http://www.hslda.org/courtreport/V21N6/V21N6OH.asp

OHIO

The history and future of 08 schools

Most Ohio parents teach their children at home pursuant to the state's homeschool regulations, which permit any parent to educate at home. Only parents with a bachelor's degree and sincere religious objections to government control of their school can operate a "non-chartered, non-tax supported school," another option for educating children at home in the Buckeye State. Ohio Administrative Code � 3301-35-08 outlines the requirements for such schools, which are generally known as "08 schools" because they are governed by chapter 08 of the regulations.

These 08 schools have a distinguished history. In the late 1950s, the Ohio State Board of Education established a set of minimum standards which all schools had to meet. This was not a problem at first, but by the 1970s some Christian school administrators began to object to the new state standards. This resulted in legislation, and Christian schools eventually won the case Ohio v. Whisner in 1976. In 1983, the state board enacted chapter 08 (OAC � 3301-35-08) to make it possible to operate a non-chartered, non-tax supported school with a minimum of government oversight. Over the next few years, a number of Christian parents with bachelordegrees relied on the 08 school regulations to operate a legal school in their own home. This worked well for many families. Finally, in 1989, homeschoolers were able to convince the state board of education to enact regulations specifically permitting parents to educate a child at home.

Home School Legal Defense Association has steadfastly insisted that parents who meet the standards of 08 schools can choose this option. However, the option became much more controversial when some parents began to establish 08 schools as a means to claim public funding under the Post Secondary Enrollment Option (PSEO) program. While it is technically possible for a parent to have religious objections to seeking a public charter and no religious objections to seeking public funding, it does raise very real concerns.

According to Ohio Department of Education figures, almost 10,000 public school students participated in the PSEO program in 2004-2005. Over 1,000 non-public school students participated. A total of 192 non-chartered, non-tax supported school students took advantage of this program. Not all of these students were educated at home, of course. Thus it is safe to conclude that well under 1 percent of the PSEO students in Ohio were educated in their own homes. Some homeschoolers are concerned, based on reliable information, that the department of education could tighten the regulations for eligibility for 08 schools because of their concern that too many people are taking advantage of PSEO money.

HSLDA believes the 08 school option is vital to educational freedom in Ohio, and needs to be preserved. We are committed to defending families who choose the 08 option based on their religious convictions. However, HSLDA believes that if 08 schools seek public funds for college courses, the inevitable result will be more regulation and governmental controls on all such schools.

We continue to support the right of parents to choose what is best for their own children, but will not fight for the right to do so at public expense.

— by Scott W. Somerville