Menu

Stobagh SAT book and College Reading List: Schedule?

I downloaded The SAT College Preparation Course for the Christian Student, into my CBD reader for android. So I now have it on my phone.

The course comes with a reading list. Some of the lessons use books from the reading list, but some lessons do not reference any of the books.

The instructions are to pick a book from the list when there is not one suggested. I think this is because there are 1, 2 AND 3 year plans for working through the lessons, and students are supposed to read 1 book a week. Students doing a one or two year plan cannot read a book for each lesson.

If a parent/teacher were to plan one lesson a week for each 36 week school year, it would take even more than 3 years to do a lessons a week. The curriculum I am using right now uses six year rotations with just 24 weeks a year, allowing catch up and enrichment weeks. So the 150 lessons would work almost perfectly for one complete 144 week rotation.

I'm finally getting to my question. :D

Is there a schedule or list somewhere that lists which lessons reference a book? I don't want to pick a book to read that is going to be referenced later in the curriculum, and I also don't want to sit down and read all 150 lessons to see which books are referenced when.

So I know I can print out the reading list, and then read all the lessons, and then mark the list with the lesson numbers. I'm kinda hoping someone else has already done this though.

I think it was a non issue. When a book is referenced in the lessons, the portion needed is printed in the lessons. Lesson 1 mentions a theme or idea in a specific book. But you don't have to have read the book to do the lesson. Other lessons will have a sentence or two from a specific book in the context of read this sentence from such and such then define the word in italics in context. now look up the word"

So, read the books you want to do when you want to read them.

We used this Stobaugh sat prep for a little bit, but my dh didn't like it.. so we just did SAT Question of the Day and used a strong college prep curriculum with plenty of reading in it as well as Bible study so we could ignore at will all of stobaugh's religion in it. and of course... you have to do practice tests.

just my opinion but we never finished the book.... maybe there are other lessons that it is an issue, but I don't remember those.

Aaaah, I see. I'm up to lesson 52 and after the first few lessons that I originally read in the sample, I see that the lessons really don't focus so much on a particular novel. I hate it when I read a sample, buy the book, and then realize it's not what I thought it was.

supportive hugs to you.

We didn't like a lot of the stobaugh book either. I'm Christian, but found the book over the top in the "encouragement" sections. ;) I can't even begin on that issue... I just.... I just.... ugh....

I know with mfw's use of the book, they provide a one page sheet on how to change the book to fit in the curriculum so we were only doing the "reading comprehenion" and "math practice" style and then using the reading list as pick a book when you feel like they need to do more reading, above and beyond.(and skipping the bible encouragement thing. ) I guess the "reading passage comprehension" had some value... I was glad to drop the use of the book in favor of SAT Question of Day, and ACT practice books.

I have to ask..... on lesson 1... did they ever fix the answer key on the math problem? does it say 10 yet, or is it still "9 and counting?" in the 2005 edition of the book it said "5" which my 14 y.o (at the time) laughed. My dh rolled his eyes.. and the 2009 edition had it as 9 and counting... still eye rolling from my dh.. .(and don't get us started on the first edition of the stobaugh ACT book... I hear they fixed about 13 out of 50 lessons in that one.)

the main idea with the prep book is to make sure you have quality reading list, and can do comprehension work... strong vocab and some thinking. and writing something every day. I think with a classical WTM approach, that happens without help of this book. grab some SAT practice books. hopefully you didn't spend too much on this resource since you sound less than happy. more supportive hugs....

but no... the lessons do not focus on novels. That is separate list.. not related to the "practice of the day" or journaling..

I just bought the ebook version, so it was less than $10.00. It's got some good general advice that I'll probably want to read a few times, so... all is not lost.

It's just that I often see curriculum that looks better, easier, more interesting, etc. in the first lessons and the samples, and then just fizzles out. It's the trend of that, that makes me feel discouraged. I just feel snookered more often than I'd like. I think I got my $10.00. It's just not what I was expecting.

The general advice sounds obvious, but in reality, I need to read it. I can get so distracted by scope and sequences, lists, catalogs, etc., that I can forget to focus on the basic and easy and cheap and obvious stuff, and the value of just READING.

Much of the reading list is available in the free and 99 cent whispersync editions. I like that.

as long as you got your $10 worth then yeah! oh.. I just saw the sample... no you don't have to have read Scarlett Letter to do the lesson.... it gives you the passage and you answer based on passage, just like passage based reading section on tests..

(still want to know if they corrected the answer key on lesson 1 in the "solve" section. it's not called math, but it's a math issue.

Here's link to the question of day I mentioned...

http://sat.collegeboard.org/practice/sat-question-of-the-day

and of course free practices on kinds of questions.

http://sat.collegeboard.org/practice/sat-practice-questions-passage-based-reading?practiceTestSectionIDKey=QuestionType.PASSAGE_BASED_READING

good stuff there for advice too. enjoy the reading list knowing it's not tied to the lessons. :)

The CBD ebook version has "9" for lesson one. :D

Thanks for the links. I ordered the book more for the reading assistance, than for the SAT prep. I don't know...I just kinda liked the sample. Yeah, it's corny, but sometimes I just... get tired of all the classical stuff, and actually crave something a little less rigorous.

Hunter-- when you have a chance take a look at Ms Effie's AP literature website. It says it has 25 items for teacher's and is a gold mine imo. There is a great list of essay prompts. Book lists. Good to analysis directions. I just found it and love it.