Menu

Handwriting Program

http://www.therapro.com/Loops-and-Other-Groups-A-Kinesthetic-Writing-System-P321435C307785.aspx

This is the handwriting program my son is doing in OT. He is actually making progress!!!! He is still on the first letter (lowercase a) but this week, all of a sudden I see improvement, and have not seen much improvement in letter formation with anything else.

He is in OT 1 hour/week and then I am having him trace with his finger and a marker at home.

The worksheets we get are sparse and I don't know what the teacher does.

It is supposed to use motor memory for students with a hard time looking at their letters and making them look right, though.

Also my son has a lot of reversals and I (and teacher) believe a lot comes from not knowing where to start a letter. In this program every letter (I think) starts on the baseline. This is just removing a huge hurdle for my son.

Edit: I don't agree with the statement about most students learning all the letter formations in 6 weeks. I am expecting my son to spend a year.

Good luck! We did the whole PT/OT thing and honestly, typing was our solution of choice.

Don't know if you've had him evaluated for an LD, but you might want to consider dyslexia/dysgraphia as a possibility.

Again, I wish you luck! So very much BTDT over the last seven years...

His OT wants me to get him evaluated. For now I want to get him accomodations without it, so we can have more info when we do go.

She thinks he might have a disorder not dyslexia/dysgraphia like I have always thought. But something where his reading and writing issues are side issues.

All the info for reading and writing is the same though, I think.

She has not said but I wonder if she suspects dyspraxia. Or -- something broad like that.

(I was planning a psycho-educational eval and she thinks I should go for full neuropsych testing.).

His OT wants me to get him evaluated. For now I want to get him accomodations without it, so we can have more info when we do go.

She thinks he might have a disorder not dyslexia/dysgraphia like I have always thought. But something where his reading and writing issues are side issues.

All the info for reading and writing is the same though, I think.

She has not said but I wonder if she suspects dyspraxia. Or -- something broad like that.

(I was planning a psycho-educational eval and she thinks I should go for full neuropsych testing.).

Guess I don't understand your logic here. The neuropsych is going to make his diagnoses and recommendations based on his testing and observations. You could be accommodating things that could be treated if you knew what they were. If the OT is wanting the evals, it sounds like she's saying it would help her treat him better. There are things like that where the OT uses the info from the psych on what part of the brain is affected to target her therapy work.

Didn't you decide to do OT first before VT? That's the one thing I would get done before doing the neuropsych, as it will actually change results. But you can get into a VT doc and do several months of therapy before you'd be able to get into most neuropsychs anyway. And it can take a while to find a neuropsych you like. Took me a year. I'm pokey. :lol:

The neuropsych eval was just a watershed moment for us. I try to return the favor and give others the shove that people gave me. :)

I would like to know how he does with accomodations, bc he had some anxiety-type issues that I think were only bc of academic issues. The main time was fixed when he went to untimed math facts.

I am a little confused by what she has said, and don't have a chance to talk to her with my little kids there. I had an appointment just with her a couple of months ago, though.

She just said she thought I was going to take him to [the place we took my younger son to be diagnosed with autism]. I have looked on their website and I can't really tell what their other services are.

But mainly there are some small questionable things that I have thought would be cleared up with accomodations, but if they are not, then I do think there is some greater concern, and I would like to have an opinion about that before we go to the clinic (or wherever we take him).