Menu

Any Online or Brick and Mortar Schools using this?

Are their any online schools or brick and mortar schools using this curriculum?

Is their a directory? A directory of local home school groups using this curriculum?

thanks

That which is put forth by the book.

I have not read the book yet. I have just ordered it today.

You mean The Well-Trained Mind? Try searching for "classical" schools in your area. (If you'd like to discuss "the book," it helps to specify the book. "WTM" would do :))

I'm not aware of any that use her curriculum (suggestions) entirely. I know Memoria Press suggests SOTW as summer reading, but that's about it. Oh, and I think Athena's uses it for ancient history... but beyond that, I've never heard of it being used in an online or brick and mortar school in its entirety.

In my online searches, I had come across several classical charter schools that specifically cite WTM as one of their inspirations. Certainly all of the classical schools I've looked at follow the ages-and-stages approach to classical education based on Dorothy Sayers' essay. Many of them use the Story of The World in grammar stage. Not all of them may follow the 4X3 chronological history approach, though.

However, please note that the WTM is mainly targeted at homeschoolers - a guide to providing a classical education at home. So you may not find schools that adhere 100% to the WTM approach.

There are plenty of classical schools out there, some of which pre-date this book. The WTM is sometimes called "enclassical," because it's really more of a hard-core classical revival based on a few different sources. I think that there are some small private schools out there which could be called neoclassical: I would also bet that most are pretty new, small, and Christian.

Many schools and homeschooling coops use the specific math/reading/science/language arts/etc programs recommended in the book. The Well-Trained Mind recommends some over others, but really there is an incredibly wide variety or resources parents can choose.

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, though.

"enclassical"? I googled this word and didn't find anything. What is the meaning of it? What is the etymology? Really curious.

SWB has called her approach "neo-classical".

And I am also curious as to why the OP asked this question.