Menu

Need an Agatha Christie for DS12....

For our mystery unit, we are reading

Read Aloud: Murder at the Rue Morgue - my GT teacher read this aloud to our class in 6th and I was mesmerized :) I think I still remember her because of this book.

DS8: The Hardy Boys 1

DD9: Nancy Drew 1

DS12: The Hound of the Baskervilles AND ________________________________

I really want to fill the blank with an Agatha Christie but I am concerned about content. Right now I am leaning towards Murder on the Orient Express. My husband has all the Rex Stout's so I may replace Christie with Stout if I can't decide.

Suggestions....reading level is no issue (he reads at grade 18) but content is. I would like to stay away from mature and suggestive themes...

Oh yes! Murder on the Orient Express is fine -- no mature content to worry about. :) Another appropriate Christie option is And Then There Were None.

For clean content short stories: Hercule Poirot's Casebook (Christie), and Father Brown mysteries by G.K. Chesterton. Read the first 5 stories in The Innocence of Father Brown, in order, and first, as there is a bit of "background arc story" in those; after that, order doesn't matter.

Other well-written (young adult) options include The Westing Game (Raskin) -- a Newberry winner -- and, The Ides of April (Ray).

BTW, just for fun, after the Sherlock Holmes, *definitely* enjoy The Baker Street Irregulars (Newman), which is set in the world of Sherlock Holmes, but is from the perspective of one of the 12yo boys who becomes one of Holmes' "irregulars". Very fun!

A bonus for your 8yo and 9yo -- take a look at the Cam Jensen series (for your DD), and Jigsaw Jones and/or Encyclopedia Brown series (for you DS). And check out the Roman mystery series by Caroline Lawrence for both the 8yo and 9yo.

And then at the dinner table as a family, have fun with some "minute mysteries" to solve together! These are all clean and gentle:

Mini-Mystery Collections:

- Little Giant Book of Whodunits (Conrad)

- Whodunit: You Decide! (Conrad)

- Almost Perfect Crimes (Conrad)

- Historical Whodunit (Conrad)

- You Be the Jury series (Miller)

- Solv-A-Crime (Singer/Gordon)

- Case Closed, and others by Obrist -- esp. good for younger readers

- Dr. Quicksolve series -- Sukach -- esp. good for younger readers

- Two Minute Mysteries; More Two Minute Mysteries; Still More Two Minute mysteries (Sobol)

Oh yes! Murder on the Orient Express is fine -- no mature content to worry about. :) Another appropriate Christie option is And Then There Were None.

Other well-written (young adult) options include The Westing Game (Raskin) -- a Newberry winner -- and, The Ides of April (Ray).

:iagree: These were the two we read for school in ms/hs and I loved them. The Westing Game is also great (I'm using it next year for my ds!)

I can not recall any Agatha Christie that have "inappropriate" content - if you are OK with *murder*. They are the most benign mysteries, no graphic violence, no sex.

If your child is sensitive, you might want to avoid Halloween Party (a child is killed), Dead Man's folly (child victim), Crooked House (the murderer is a child).

I love A Murder is Announced, Body in the LIbrary, 4:50 from Paddington, Murder at the Vicarage, Dumb Witness.

I can not recall any Agatha Christie that have "inappropriate" content - if you are OK with *murder*. They are the most benign mysteries, no graphic violence, no sex.

If your child is sensitive, you might want to avoid Halloween Party (a child is killed), Dead Man's folly (child victim), Crooked House (the murderer is a child).

I love A Murder is Announced, Body in the LIbrary, 4:50 from Paddington, Murder at the Vicarage, Dumb Witness.

That's great to know! I am not a big Christie fan so I wasn't sure. He reads Paolini, Riordan, etc. so violence doesn't bother him a bit. Thanks.