Menu

Could a 4th grader do Level 2 of History Odyssey Middle Ages?

foofoobunny

She could certainly "tag along," but the assigned readings might be a bit much unless you did them as read-alouds, at which point your older might not get the assigned study skills from them (I am thinking Canturbury Tales, Beowulf). You could always get her her own books to read from the library on the appropriate topics.

I ordered this for my 7th grader last year and sent it back. I felt it was too much for her - while she is very bright and loves to read, there was just an overwhelming amount of 'stuff' assigned for each section. I ended up loosely using the books/lit program schedule at Classical House of Learning. I think if you wanted to include your 4th grader in a similar program to your 6th grader, it might be easier for her to tag along in something lighter, like CHoL. I know my 5th grader last year read almost all the same books as my 7th grader but there was no way I could've done HO2 with her.

I wouldn't. I struggled to make it work for my middle schooler only because she loved it so much. Even after a lot of tweaking, it's a lot of work. Having said that, we're sticking with HO long term because she gets so much out of it.

Have you looked at level one?

I ordered this for my 7th grader last year and sent it back. I felt it was too much for her - while she is very bright and loves to read, there was just an overwhelming amount of 'stuff' assigned for each section. I ended up loosely using the books/lit program schedule at Classical House of Learning. I think if you wanted to include your 4th grader in a similar program to your 6th grader, it might be easier for her to tag along in something lighter, like CHoL. I know my 5th grader last year read almost all the same books as my 7th grader but there was no way I could've done HO2 with her.

Wow - good to know! I've never heard of Classical House of Learning.

I wouldn't. I struggled to make it work for my middle schooler only because she loved it so much. Even after a lot of tweaking, it's a lot of work. Having said that, we're sticking with HO long term because she gets so much out of it.

Could I do Level 1 with one kid and Level 2 with the other or will that be too much work for me? Is Level 2 fairly independent?

Could I do Level 1 with one kid and Level 2 with the other or will that be too much work for me? Is Level 2 fairly independent?

Level 2 can be fairly independent. I wouldn't have the younger kid do it unless you really stripped it down (less assignments total & made the writing assignments easier) & did some of the reading together. HO Level 1 isn't scheduled the same as Level 2 - so you'd be doing different topics at different times.

Did you find CHOLL? I'm using some of it as an extra for my dd#2 next year (Middle Ages, but using SOTW2).

My 12YO does level 2 completely independently (so far ancient and medieval is nearly completely done); I just check his work now and then to see that the standards stay high, and to discuss the reading and writing assignments. He chatters all the time about history, so I know his retention is good-- he loves the program.

My 9YO is doing level 1 of a completely different time period, and he needs me for every step; he is not independent yet, so his work is very time intensive. One advantage of doing things this way is that the older child is developing the study skills intended by the older program-- HO is written directly to the student, not to the parent, at level 2, so it is meant to be used by the student.

Note also though, that if some part is not working for you (like history pockets) you can simply not do that part. If it's "too much," then just cross something off! The police won't come and arrest you, really :) You are in charge, not the curriculum!

My 12YO does level 2 completely independently (so far ancient and medieval is nearly completely done); I just check his work now and then to see that the standards stay high, and to discuss the reading and writing assignments. He chatters all the time about history, so I know his retention is good-- he loves the program.

My 9YO is doing level 1 of a completely different time period, and he needs me for every step; he is not independent yet, so his work is very time intensive. One advantage of doing things this way is that the older child is developing the study skills intended by the older program-- HO is written directly to the student, not to the parent, at level 2, so it is meant to be used by the student.

Note also though, that if some part is not working for you (like history pockets) you can simply not do that part. If it's "too much," then just cross something off! The police won't come and arrest you, really :) You are in charge, not the curriculum!

To the bolded: HO finally taught me that lesson. I had a big freak out here and had to be talked down. :lol: A grown woman with real problems, bawling over a history schedule.

SOOOOO liberating! I'm on a whole new level of confidence in homeschooling as a result, and I was already pretty relaxed.

Jen is right on here. :)

Thank you all so much. It is SO hard to get past the Curriculum Police!! I'm such a rule follower!

I think I'll put my 4th grader in Level 1 with Story of the World (she loves that book!) and try my 6th grader at level 2 and hopefully she can work independently.