Menu

Henna Users (for hair): Need Advice

Myeightkiddies

I recall some of the ladies here using henna to color their hair. I'm looking for any advice that you want to give. At this time I'm seriously considering it. I was going to get highlights, but I'm leaning toward non-chemical methods. I do understand that if I choose the henna route that I will not be able to use chemical products.

My initial questions are:

Where do you purchase your henna?

Which colors do you mix for best results?

What do you use to mix with it (some use tea)?

How long do you leave it on your head?

How often do you reapply it for best results (such as freshening color or dealing with roots)?

Any other advice - or helpful hints - would be great. Thank you!

I have bought henna from Lush. Not all of their "hennas" are full henna, they are indigo, etc. In their product forum there is a stickied thread about different ways in which people use the henna. I will warn you that their general forum tends toward far left leaning.

I recall some of the ladies here using henna to color their hair. I'm looking for any advice that you want to give. At this time I'm seriously considering it. I was going to get highlights, but I'm leaning toward non-chemical methods. I do understand that if I choose the henna route that I will not be able to use chemical products.

My initial questions are:

Which colors do you mix for best results? I used their brown

What do you use to mix with it (some use tea)? I mixed it with coffee

How long do you leave it on your head? A couple of hours

How often do you reapply it for best results (such as freshening color or dealing with roots)? Every couple of months is fine as long as you aren't doing an extreme color change like blond to red.

My daughter uses the henna from http://www.hennaforhair.com/. If you email them, they'll help you select the right henna for your hair and your color wishes.

She mixes it with lemon or lime juice the night before. Her results are natural looking and they last a long time. She never seems to have a clear "grow out" line like she did with other hair colors. This may be in part to the fact that the henna is a redder color, but similar to her natural color.

Thank you ladies. I appreciate all the advice and site references. I'll certainly research them all.

I can pull off red, such as auburn. I can't pull off orange. I'm not worried about orange as my hair is dark. If it gets orangey I'll do another application to help darken it. I'm Native American (my avatar makes my skin lighter than it is due to the camera and bright sun). Orange (really coppery) would look odd. I've been looking at Mehandi's site for body art quality henna. I'm going to browse through Lush's sometime today.

I'm happy to see this thread. I just ordered the Indigo henna from Lush and can't wait to start on it next month when it arrives here. I've read and taken notes and tips on almost all the reviews there and I realize that it'll be rather tricky and messy.