Menu

After Lingua Latina Part 1?

What do you do after the first book? another language? the second book?

the National Latin Exam?... would he have enough Latin after book 1 to take any of these tests? Do you schedule separate time to study for these tests?

We are doing Lingua Latina book 1 over 3 years in our co-op. My ds is going in to 8th and will be doing the second year of this three year breakdown. After the third part I'm wondering what to plan. Maybe the National Latin Exam to put proof on his transcript of his knowledge. Then what?

Lone Pine Classical uses LL1 (plus additional materials) for Latin 1 & 2. Then Latin 3 & 4 are reading original works (Caesar, Vergil, Catullus, Cicero, etc.), which I believe she supplements (or at least used to) with Wheelocks for additional grammar. The Legumus Transitional Readers from Bolchazy-Carducci would be good options, plus something like Wheelock's or Excelabiility for extra grammar. If you are going to credit the 3 yrs of coop as Latin 1-3, then you would definitely want to be reading original works for Latin 4.

If you go to the NLE website, you can see syllabi and past exams for the different NLE levels; you'd need to compare those to what is being covered in the coop class to choose the most appropriate exam. Keep in mind, though, that if you plan to use the NLE to validate the coursework, then you'd need to label the courses to match (e.g. passing the Latin 2 NLE in 9th is not going to validate a course called Latin 3 on your transcript). If LL doesn't line up well with the NLE, you could use the Latin SAT2 for validation. AP Latin has a very specific S&S, covering Vergil & Caesar.

Jackie

The Orberg Lingua Latina is a remarkable book. However, it requires a good teacher to use it well, it is very hard for the self-taught to really get the most out of it. The second book, LL pars 2, Roma Aeterna, is perhaps an even better book -- it presents many different Roman authors, starting in an adapted way, including a fantastic prose adaptation of parts of the Aeneid, and by the end there is very little adaptation going on. It is a great way for intermediate students to move beyond introductory grammar and get to authentic Latin. Even for students who haven't used LL pars1, (perhaps who prefer a more grammar-centric instruction), Roma Aeterna is an amazing reader. I strongly recommend LL pars 2. But! there is a bit of a jump in difficulty from pars 1 to pars 2, and it helps to have some time between the two to review and rev up. Between the two, I might try one of the Legamus readers from Bolchazy.

The NLE contains both language and culture. The LL books are all about language, so to get one of those coveted NLE medals, you'll need to take a week or so off, and cover Roman culture and geography, if you haven't gotten that in some other class. Otherwise, I would think that, with proper instruction, (and I'd ask the teacher about this), you should be able to take the NLE level 1 about half way through Familia Romana, and level 2 at the end. The NLE folks have a bunch of sample exams for each level on their website, so you should get a good feel for how ready he is. If he does well four years in a row on the NLE, he is eligible for certain scholarships, so the NLE is not something to ignore.

Thanks for so much the info. The teacher at our co-op has been teaching these classes for a few years now. I think my ds is getting the culture also since we have done Ancients a few times and now again with this co-op that uses TOG. I'll see if others at our co-op might be interested in continuing the Latin. I know some are already thinking of doing Spanish, but I'd rather have him continue (if he wants to at that point).