Menu

Online Jacobs Geometry at Veritas Press

There is an online Geometry class at http://www.veritaspress.com (purveyors of Omnibus) that uses Jacobs. It meets on Tuesdays and Thursday from 11:00 to 12:30 EST. There are only 4 kids signed up, so it could be (1) a great opportunity for Geometry in a small class or (2) cancelled if enrollment is deemed too low.

Check it out. One of my sons took Omnibus I last year and had a great experience all around--challenging reading, meaningful writing, and a patient, supportive teacher.

My ds is one of the four also. We got an e-mail yesterday saying it might be cancelled and we haven't heard today.

They did cancel the logic II course he was in. When we got the e-mail about geometry being in danger I was starting to worry "what's next?".

By the way, hi to everyone. I'm new here.

Oh, this is too funny. Talk about a small world. We are enrolled in the Wed/Fri Geometry class, but were told about the Tue/Thur class as a possible option ... which we wanted, because my son's homeschool group meets on Friday mornings and we would have had to forego that this year otherwise (Geometry being the priority!). I've been waiting on tenterhooks wondering whether the Tue/Thur class would be cancelled. I'm going to email them now and double-check.

My son swims ... but not very eagerly. A childhood friend of my daughter's is going to be competing in the Olympics this year, though ... does that count? :D

Can you share what Jacobs Geometry resources you bought for your son? I bought the book and teacher manual. Has anyone used the CD or DVD? Are they useful?

Did you see the email about the Digital Scribe that doesn't work with Macs. I wish they'd find one that is PC and Mac compatible.

Let me change the official course description:

VP Online Jacobs Geometry for Boys Who Swim

I emailed the teacher of the W/F class this afternoon after I read this thread, and she suggested I email Bruce Etter (he's the one who sent out the email about Digital Scribe). HE emailed me and seemed to indicate that the T/T class was still iffy, so maybe he hasn't gotten the word yet. He told me to call Brian Keith at the press tomorrow. I don't want to transfer out of the W/F class into the T/T class, and then have it cancelled! However, maybe my bringing an additional boy (who sorta likes to swim) into the class will seal the deal. I hope so!

We're also doing VP Latin 1 (Wheelock's) and Biology with Scholars Online. Should be an interesting year! I just hope I can get all the technology working properly!

Not that I'm at all selfish, but YES, transfer into the Tu/Th Geometry for Swimmers class!

(I wish I remembered enough at this moment to write a pithy comment about something they'll learn to apply to swimming but I can't w/o risking unwittingly referencing trig or calculus.)

I don't know, Annabanana, I guess we have to see whether this class moves forward. You might have to teach next year as well, when Veritas will be offering Algebra II for Swimmers since my son is studying math on the traditional track of plopping Geometry in the middle of the algebra years.

What about the other Jacobs Geometry aids??? Anyone order anything??? AND is everyone prepared for online geometry with a Digital Scribe? Anyone have a Mac?

Yay! I spoke with Brian Keith and we are officially switched over. My son brought the class up to nine students, and since he said they would run the class with six, it's a definite go. (Just for comparison, the W/F class now has 14, since they lost Laurence.)

As far as the books, I just have the textbook, and can't remember if we were supposed to get the teacher edition as well. Need to check on that, but I guess I have time since the class doesn't start til next month. Bruce Etter DID say that the geometry students will need Digital Scribe as well. And no we don't have a Mac.

My ds is enrolled in VP's online Algebra II, Chemistry, Omnibus I, and Comp I. We live in a very small town so any swimming is done just for fun. We do have a big lake not too far away so we water-ski, wake-board, knee-board, etc - once again just for fun. Does that count??

We are looking very forward to these online classes. Okay, let me re-phrase that. I am looking forward to these online classes. :001_smile: My son is very capable but completely unmotivated. I am hoping that having some interaction with a cyber teacher and cyber classmates plus deadlines from someone else will raise the bar for him. We'll see!