Menu

What Learning Cursive Does for Your Brain

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/memory-medic/201303/what-learning-cursive-does-your-brain

Much of the benefit of hand writing in general comes simply from the self-generated mechanics of drawing letters. During one study at Indiana University to be published this year,[3] researchers conducted brain scans on pre-literate 5-year olds before and after receiving different letter-learning instruction. In children who had practiced self-generated printing by hand, the neural activity was far more enhanced and "adult-like" than in those who had simply looked at letters. The brain’s “reading circuit†of linked regions that are activated during reading was activated during hand writing, but not during typing. This lab has also demonstrated that writing letters in meaningful context, as opposed to just writing them as drawing objects, produced much more robust activation of many areas in both hemispheres.

I'm reading more and more about the effects on the brain of cursive handwriting, and have observed the benefits first hand on myself and my students.

Knitting, cursive, and walking do some amazing things to the brain. They actually repair damage, as well as slow down and even out brain waves.