Menu

Need LA to help in actual writing

My ds just finished Rod and Staff English 7, and although he did fine on he tests, his grammar knowledge doesn't seem to transfer to his writing assignments. I would like to try a more practical grammar that helps him to really think while writing. He did WWS this year and neither of us are really enjoying it. We will probably go back to IEW next year. I have considered Fix-It by IEW, and he is doing some editor-in-chief to help. I really don't want to do R&S 8 next year. I would rather focus on writing. Unfortunately he doesn't have the most knowledgeable writing instructor.

Thanks

My ds just finished Rod and Staff English 7, and although he did fine on he tests, his grammar knowledge doesn't seem to transfer to his writing assignments. I would like to try a more practical grammar that helps him to really think while writing. ... I would rather focus on writing. ...

I think Stewart English (recommended in WTM) is great for this. We like using it as a break between R&S books or at the end of the R&S series. Either way it helps them apply the grammar they've learned in R&S to their writing.

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/sku/006964/3cd8e86a004a4626167733ed

The most effective way of getting my kids to transfer grammar (and spelling, vocabulary, figurative language, etc.) to their writing has been to let no subject be an island unto itself. We have a daily writing workshop during which all these separate LA subjects are discussed. We take time to play with our writing and marry concepts. What they learn in their grammar lessons one day is discussed the following day during the writing workshop.

In other words, I don't think you necessarily need to purchase anything specifically. Just discuss all the components of LA consistently, and purposefully encourage the transfer/co-mingling of these skills.

Thanks. For those of you who are recommended Stewart, do you mean all 3 books or just Book 1?

Alte Veste Academy - I would love to know how to make that work. Most of the time trying to just get my 3 younger boys around the table to discuss anything is a major chore. Do you just meet with 1 child at a time? It sounds so freeing.

Alte Veste Academy - I would love to know how to make that work. Most of the time trying to just get my 3 younger boys around the table to discuss anything is a major chore. Do you just meet with 1 child at a time? It sounds so freeing.

The boards are probably sick of me saying this, LOL, but I do content work with all three kids in the morning (and we have our writing workshop during this time) and one-on-one work with each child in the afternoon. My oldest is about to enter 5th and I only have three kids, so keep in mind that that's the extent of my experience. However, I am very happy with the carryover I'm seeing from grammar to writing.

If you like the idea of a writing workshop, you could just give it a trial run. We have lots of fun with it here. We do it sprawled around the sectional with lap desks or working from the coffee table. Maybe serve a snack to lure the boys in and keep their hands and mouths busy during the lesson? :tongue_smilie: It doesn't even have to be daily.

In your shoes, depending on levels and whether or not curricula are shared, I might divide the writing workshop into two groups---10th/8th and 5th/3rd (maybe give recess or independent work to one group while you work with the other group?). Or whatever works, LOL. I have zero experience with older kids, as I said. It works out for us to stay together because my older two are getting more independent and my little guy enjoys writing, hanging with us fairly successfully. I transcribe a lot for him though (he is a much better writer than he is a hand-writer :D).

I personally think IEW is an ideal program to serve as a spine for a multi-age writing workshop, so all the better if the younger ones will be using it too. For language, almost all of what I use is recommended in WTM (ViE, WWE, IEW, Spelling Power), but I also use interesting supplements I find, mixing everything up in writing workshop. I do a short writing lesson or review the prior lesson every day, hooking in a grammar concept (or spelling, vocab, etc.). This does not take long at all, anywhere from 30 seconds to 5 minutes, depending on complexity and necessity. We discuss the lesson, and the kids brainstorm or share what they are thinking about what they will write, what they have written, whatever. Then they write while I float from kid to kid as needed, reading over their shoulders, giving pointers/reminders, and answering questions. Later in the day, during one-on-one time, I often take time to review particular stumbling blocks. I try to make mental notes of areas in which each kid needs extra work and then spiral back over those concepts.

I'm sorry if that is gibberish, more than you needed to hear, or just generally not up your alley. I am succumbing to the flu as we speak. :( Blech.