Menu

Computer Programming Internship - credits ??

Thank you Lori D for the awesome thread with all of the transcript links. I looked through the list quickly (but I will be spending time looking through them to see if I left anything off mine, etc.), but I had a specific question that I thought I would ask the Hive. Earlier in the week, I read a few older threads, but I didn't find the answer to my questions.

My 16-year-old daughter starts her paid internship next week. She will be doing computer programming for 20 hours a week for 7 weeks, so that is only 140 hours. I was trying to figure out how to put in on her transcript and I had the following questions.

1) How many credits would you give this internship?

2) Another Mom told me today (she used to homeschool) that she would put the internship under miscellaneous, but I was going to put it with her other computer programming credits (Pyton, etc.). Now I am questioning that.

I think it's pretty awesome that she has a paid internship for her technical knowledge. (I hear a lot of college kids aren't getting paid internships.) Whatever she is applying for, I would feature this work experience prominently on her applications. Good for her!

If you don't mind my asking, could you share a little about how she came to earn her internship position? Is it a large company or small start up? Was there a formal application process or did she know someone who worked there?

Internships can be so important for landing a good job after college; it would be so helpful to hear her story. Thanks!

ETA: When I wrote, "...did she know someone who worked there..." I don't mean disrespect about her capabilities. It is just to recognize that sometimes opportunities arise because of who you know. But I'm a big believer in making your own luck, and deliberately expanding one's network.