Menu

Writing with Ease help

achristean

I'm considering buying WWE but I'm confused as to which book to buy. I don't know if I can afford to get both right now.

Do I get:

The Complete Writer: Writing With Ease: Strong Fundamentals (Complete Writer)

or

The Complete Writer: Level 1 Workbook for Writing With Ease (Complete Writer) (Paperback)

Do you have to have the WWE: strong Fundamentals book in order to use the workbook? We've already been doing some dictation, narration etc and I would rather not buy another book that explains this method. Is that all that the Strong Fundamentals book does? Or in your opinion, would it be better to just by the Strong Fundamentals book and not the workbook?

Thanks for your help

It can be used as a stand alone product, and it includes all the narration passages and copywork pages.

If you want an overview of the program, and guidelines for the first four years, and are willing to come up with your own narration and copywork passages, then you could buy the Writing With Ease: Strong Fundamentals book. It would be the cheaper way to go over time.

Well do you prefer to or want to make up your own copywork and narration passages to use? If so then get the book only. That will have the basic overview of the program and will have the pattern for the 1st four years of writing instruction in them. It will have copywork and narration passages for a few weeks out of each year but not all of them laid out.

You don't need The Complete Writer: Writing With Ease: Strong Fundamentals (Complete Writer) in order to use the workbook. The workbook can be used on it's own. So, if you want all the copywork and narration passages to read to the child laid out for you, then go with Workbook 1. It has all the teachers stuff in the front and the student pages in the back kind of like the SOTW activity books are laid out.

HTH

Are there significant advantages to buying the book WITH the workbook??? Since there is always a wish list of things to purchase...I'm considering buying just the workbooks.

I'll be purchasing Workbook 1 for ds to start now and will purchase Workbook 2 for older ds as soon as it is available. If the workbooks can stand alone...why would I need the book?

Does anyone use the student pages? How helpful are they?

Can you tell it's my 1st year homeschooling? I'm all questions and lists.

Emily

I chose to buy the workbook and skip the book. The advantage of buying the workbook is that you have all of the copywork and narration excerpts laid out for you. The first half of the workbook is the teacher guide and the second half is the student work book and is consumable. The book would be cheaper over time because it has the foundation for how to create four years of work, but I'm lazy and I would never get around to finding a year's worth of copywork and narration passages.

Does anyone use the student pages? How helpful are they?

As far as I can tell the student pages are what makes up the second half of the workbook. They can also be purchased separately for additional students or to use with the book if you do not wish to create your own exercises.

So you can get the book and have all 4 years guided for you, but you'll need to create your own copywork passages to use. If you do not want to create your own passages you can buy the book and the student pages.

Or if you want a consumable workbook with the work done for you the workbook would be the way to go. Actually, I'm just having my daughter do her copywork in a notebook instead of writing in the wb so that we can use it again for my son in a few years.

I wish I had known that the book wasn't necessary. :001_huh: I went ahead and bought it, and the level 1 workbook just showed up today. After looking through it I see that buying the book was a waste of money. Its main value is the articles in the front of the book, and you can read those on the PHP website.

The only problem with just buying the 4 year text and the student pages only is that you would then have to go hunt down the books that have the narration passages to read to your child. Those student pages don't have the passage with them, they are simply a lined paper with a picture on it labeled Narration, and those passages aren't in the 4 year text.

My understanding is the student pages were put out as a convenience item for those who have the workbook but need pages for more than 1 student and don't want to have to take them to be copied, or for later on down the road when a much younger student comes up the rank and you have the teacher portion of the workbook from a past student.

The only problem with just buying the 4 year text and the student pages only is that you would then have to go hunt down the books that have the narration passages to read to your child. Those student pages don't have the passage with them, they are simply a lined paper with a picture on it labeled Narration, and those passages aren't in the 4 year text.

I didn't think about that. Today was our first WWE lesson and for some reason I didn't think of the actual book passages. That would be really confusing to use the student pages and the book because the student pages have sentences pulled directly from the reading passages in the 'teacher' part of the workbook. So I guess the student pages would only work if you had the workbook and needed a second set for another student.