Menu

Latin program advice

Any input on which one is best for one starting out at 7yo? I have seen Latin Primer for Children, Prima Latina online but unsure if there are anymore and which is best. If you have any insight on this matter, please help us. Thanks.

Guest janeshen

I like Memoria Press and I would go with Prima Latina, then Latina Christiana, then 1st Form, 2nd Form, 3rd Form, 4th Form, etc. If you don't take the online class, you can buy the DVD to learn self paced. You can buy the complete set cheaper at rainbow resource.

Thanks for your response janeshen. Did you purchase the complete or text set? Would like to know if the complete set made a world of difference or if one could get enough by just the text set at this level. Thanks!

We did Latin for Children from Classical Academic Press and loved it! The DVD does all of the teacher instruction like you'd get in a classroom setting, the primer book is the textbook, workbook, and quizzes combined, the answer key is just answers, the activity book is optional and contains additional practice if necessary (crosswords, etc.), the audio CDs (in the same box as the DVDs) reinforce the vocabulary, conjugations, etc., the history readers are supplemental to help expand vocabulary and knowledge of ancient Rome, and the free Headventureland site is a fun way to reinforce learning or go back to brush up on previous chapters. It has videos and games, as well as a few printables. There is something for all learning types, so you don't have to feel overwhelmed thinking you need every piece. Use what works for you.

I like the Memoria Press series as well. We are taking a break and doing Galore Park for the summer, but I plan to continue with the Form series in the fall. We've done Prima, Latina Christiana 1 and First Form and I highly recommend them. For Prima and LC 1 I just got the texts. For First Form I got the whole set, including DVDs. We could have done it without the DVDs, but it made things a little easier in terms of my instruction time.