Menu

Potters School French - How much time?

I'm considering enrolling ds in this based on the good reviews I've read so far. Besides the 1.5 hour class time, can anyone tell me appx. how much time their children spend on this class each week? Also, has anyone also done the conversations class?

Hi, My daughter has taken French 1 and 2 at TPS and will be taking 3 next year. It is a lot of work, but she really does like it. On average, i would estimate that she spent 4-5 hours weekly on French, plus the class itself. Some weeks might have been more with test and or projects. My daughter took the conversations in year 1 and then not in year 2. She found that since she had a a little exposure to French before Year 1, she really didn't need the conversations course. (She went through almost 1 year with Rosetta Stone in 8th grade). I would be happy to answer any other questions you may have.

FWIW, my second daughter is taking French next year at potters but will be taking the slower track-she will earn only .5 credit for the year. She didn't think she could handle the work in the regular class. However, she is not your "typical" high school school. you could think about that option if you are concerned about keeping up.

I'm considering enrolling ds in this based on the good reviews I've read so far. Besides the 1.5 hour class time, can anyone tell me appx. how much time their children spend on this class each week? Also, has anyone also done the conversations class?

My dd took French 1 and Conversations this year. What a terrific course, but it is time consuming. I think she spent 6-8 hours a week beyond the 2-90 minute class times. It would vary according to the assignments. During the 1st semester of Conversations, there is no homework. In 2nd semester, Mme. Reilly paired everyone, so that they could email each other in French and translate the message. This was great practice. My dd loved both classes and thought it was very helpful to have the second class for conversation practice. Besides weekly work from the textbook in French 1, Mme. Starosciak assigned monthly cultural projects. Examples included writing a travel brochure about a French landmark, going to and writing about an experience at a French restaurant, researching/writing about Christmas in France, cooking/writing about French food, etc. I highly praise both instructors and Potter's School. For us, this has been a great match!

HTH,

Jennifer