Menu

Economics/Personal Finance ?

I'm putting together our Economics course for next year and am considering Dave Ramsey's Personal Finance (homeschool version). The thing is, I just don't know if I need this program or if I could teach my dc the principles we live by (debt-free, savings, etc.) myself? If we have practiced all of the "must dos" of good personal finance and modeled that to our dc, could I not just fill in gaps if there are any and move on to the rest of our course? Or is there enough good stuff in DR's course that it is worth the time and investment (the investment is what is getting me...$100+ to teach our dc something we have done for almost 20 years without having read DR or viewed his material)?

Thoughts from those who've used it? If it helps, our main course is Economics in a Box complete with John Stossel DVDs and TTC lectures.

I'm putting together our Economics course for next year and am considering Dave Ramsey's Personal Finance (homeschool version). The thing is, I just don't know if I need this program or if I could teach my dc the principles we live by (debt-free, savings, etc.) myself? If we have practiced all of the "must dos" of good personal finance and modeled that to our dc, could I not just fill in gaps if there are any and move on to the rest of our course? Or is there enough good stuff in DR's course that it is worth the time and investment (the investment is what is getting me...$100+ to teach our dc something we have done for almost 20 years without having read DR or viewed his material)?

Thoughts from those who've used it? If it helps, our main course is Economics in a Box complete with John Stossel DVDs and TTC lectures.

Well, we've always lived debt free, saved, had money put away for college, etc. -- and DH and I still learned some useful tips from Dave Ramsey. More importantly, DSs were MUCH more willing to "receive" all of this info from the humorous Dave Ramsey, than from boring old parents. ;)

But, YMMV. If you decide to add the Dave Ramsey, it's only 12 hours of DVD lectures, plus whatever discussion or projects you want to add to it -- do get the workbooks and have the student fill it out as they watch to help the material "stick". BTW, this program gets used a lot by homeschoolers, so you may very well be able to find it used. If cost is a big stumbling block, Dave Ramsey learned from Larry Burkett, so maybe take a look at the Larry Burkett materials -- for example: Money Matters for Teens.

The one downside -- the Dave Ramsey was done right before the economy tanked in 2008, and he has not done an updated version, and I really think that some of his material is not as applicable or the best advice at this time; wish he'd do an update!

(BTW, the Stossel DVDs and Teaching Company lectures are *completely* different -- they really do teach about the topics of micro and macro economics; the Dave Ramsey is the practical, specific home money management tips.)

BEST of luck, whatever you decide to do! Warmest regards, Lori D.

I'm not as familiar with DR's homeschool version, but my boys just finished watching the new adult version of Financial Peace. We have also always lived debt free, but watching the videos gave us the opportunity to discuss how others live and my boys love his humor. I think the DR videos are a nice supplement to build on our own commitment to how we manage our money. We do plan on watching the new youth videos with Dave and his daughter Rachel Cruze soon.

Great subject to cover - everyone should. I think personal finance is one of the easiest homeschool subjects to learn for free and your kids have already learned a lot from seeing how you live. There are a lot of good online resources that would be enough without spending $100+ on it. I have a Pinterest Homeschool Personal Finance Board that might be helpful.