Menu

Encouraging rising seniors who don't know what they want to do?

Susan in TN

Ds is a bright kids with many good qualities and abilities, but he really just doesn't know what he wants to do, and I think it makes the idea of "college" extra stressful for him. He just doesn't know how to look at colleges if he doesn't know what he will be studying. He is very slow to make decisions (like his mother was at that age ;)) and I'm just looking for some ways to encourage him without giving him more stress.

TIA!

Does he need to go to college right away? Is taking a gap year and working a possibility?

If that option is absolutely off the table, then I would look for a college that has a pretty standard set of core classes required for incoming freshman. One of his classes or activities might grab his interest and that would lead naturally into selecting an eventual major. Most of the private schools that DS17 has looked at so far seem to expect all the incoming freshman to take pretty much the same classes and not declare a major until beginning or middle of sophmore year.

This summer my rising junior is spending time in a variety of offices with different career tracks. The plan is 3 - 5 days with no commitment from them or from him for anything further. This week it is civil engineers. Obviously some of this will be limited by our network, but it will at least begin to give him some thoughts.

However, for a bright child, I would be looking at the intersection of talent, personality, and interest.

Ds is a bright kids with many good qualities and abilities, but he really just doesn't know what he wants to do, and I think it makes the idea of "college" extra stressful for him. He just doesn't know how to look at colleges if he doesn't know what he will be studying. He is very slow to make decisions (like his mother was at that age ;)) and I'm just looking for some ways to encourage him without giving him more stress.

TIA!

A gap year (travel, volunteering/service, missions work, AmeriCorps (which is volunteering AND money towards college), working, or shadowing occupations) is an option.

Getting a job and working for a year or two can also give your student something productive to do, time to mature, and ability to earn money towards possible future education or buying a home. And, the job may end up leading to advancement into a company and a career he really enjoys. One homeschooler we know started off at Geicko a few years ago, and is very happily working her way up the ladder there with no further outside education. Another homeschool grad is with a bank and working his way up.

Another option is community college, which can allow a student to knock out general ed. courses for transfer to a university -- or, get a 2-year degree in an occupational area that is pays well and is looking for employees.

Both options of working or going to the community college may expose a student to jobs s/he had never considered before.

Doing some online career exploration, book reading on careers, and taking a career interest inventory would also be GREAT ideas. Here's a thread with lots of links to resources: Career counseling for the undecided?

While DS is thinking, spend this time nailing down any life skills that may be missing -- personal finance, budgeting, cooking, nutrition, housecleaning, basic home/auto maintenance, exercise/regular activity, volunteering/helping others, etc.

BEST of luck as your DS moves into adulthood and begins thinking of future career options! Warmest regards, Lori D.

This may not be exactly what you are looking for but it may help to share some of these thoughts...

1. It is totally normal not to know at 17 what you will study in college. Most students don't. A large percentage of students enter college undecided. And, those who do select a major most often change it. In other words, he shouldn't feel like everyone else knows what they want to do but he doesn't. Most don't know what they want to do and a big percentage of those who think they do end up changing their minds. He can still look at different colleges. The most important factors for most students in college choice aren't about major - look at size, social fit, financial fit, extracurricular activities, etc.

2. This is why the general education requirements in college come first. He will get a chance to explore and he will figure it out.

3. With the exception of some more specialized fields (such as speech pathology, accounting, engineering) most subjects can be studied at most colleges. It is actually pretty rare for students to transfer because a school doesn't offer what they decide they want to study. It happens, but most students end up finding something they like where they are.

4. There is not a very strong relationship between college major and what you end up doing for a living. Most people work in something only somewhat related to their college major. A couple of students at Williams College did a very cool illustration of how liberal arts majors relate to different careers.

5. If he is interested in exploring different careers I have some ideas on my Pinterest careers board. Most of all though I'd encourage him just to know it is normal not to know and it'll be okay.

Hope that helps!