Menu

X post: help organizing Miquon?

I'm struggling to use Miquon with my DD because I can't figure out how to organize the sheets! Someone please help. Do I use them consecutively? Out of order? Pull out all the sheets and order them by letter?? What do you store them in? I have Notes to Teacher and 1st grade diary and am slowly reading through them. Sorry, I'm still in a newborn fog and can't seem to wrap my head around this program, which I really want to use with my VSL DD... any advice would be great! Thanks in advance!

I don't organize it at all. I use the sheets in order as they appear in each book - this makes the program a little more spiral in its approach. I use Miquon along with Math Mammoth for my boys and it is a great combo. With these two programs I have zero math prep each night :)

I have a large binder that I store the sheets in by their letter (I found A-Z tabs at walmart). Then I put a small color mark on the top right of each page so I would know which book it came from (ex. I colored a small orange circle for each page out of the orange book). I kept the scope and sequence from each book in front of the binder and I usually follow the order of the book, but I like the ability to be able to continue with a concept if it is going well. I also use a plastic page protector so that the pages can be reused if necessary.

I'm struggling to use Miquon with my DD because I can't figure out how to organize the sheets! Someone please help. Do I use them consecutively? Out of order? Pull out all the sheets and order them by letter?? What do you store them in? I have Notes to Teacher and 1st grade diary and am slowly reading through them. Sorry, I'm still in a newborn fog and can't seem to wrap my head around this program, which I really want to use with my VSL DD... any advice would be great! Thanks in advance!

I used Miquon in a more "mastery" way -- we'd continue with a topic from workbook to workbook until DSs hit a wall, then we'd go back to an earlier workbook and start a new topic and work on it until they hit a wall, etc.

If you have a young student, or one who prefers variety, you can just go through the workbooks in order: Orange, Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, Purple, and plan for doing about two workbooks a year (grade 1 = Orange & Red; grade 2 = Blue & Green; grade 3 = Yellow & Purple), and they tend to spiral back around on the topics.

A final way to use Miquon is as a supplement. Do your "spine" math program 4 days a week, and then the 5th day, pull out the Miquon and flip open a workbook to the math topic being covered in your "spine". Or, if your student has "hit the wall" with the "spine" math, set the spine aside, pull out Miquon for a week or three and work on topics OTHER than the one that is causing a problem. Often, when you go back to the problem math topic after letting it sit for awhile, the student has no more problem seeing that topic again -- it's like it was simmering away on the back burner of their brain.

Pulling pages out of the workbooks and trying to store separately would have been a recipe for disaster for me. I just left the pages in the workbook and turned to the pages we wanted. I stored the workbooks and the Lab Annotatons all together in the cupboard where I kept the rest of the school supplies.

Also, to help you turn to the pages that you want to use, I believe there used to be a chart in the back cover of each workbook listing which pages from which workbook covered which topic. If not, you can print off this one: Miquon Math Scope and Sequence Chart, and tape it inside your Lab Annotations or inside each workbook. The letter indicates the math topic, and the numbers refer to the page numbers. The chart shows you which page numbers are in which workbook.

Enjoy using Miquon! Warmest regards, Lori D.

I think Miquon is very flexible. You can use it in different ways - just in order of the pages in the lab book and go lab book by book, in order of the threads and go thread by thread through the books (good for older kids), skipping around completely at random, or planning ahead but skipping around...

We skipped around a lot within a single lab book. I mostly prepared on the fly. I would look at the book and the Annotations and pick something that I knew would require my attention and direct instruction and have ds start with that and do one or maybe two pages with it. Then, I would say, okay, now you pick. And he would flip through and pick something else to try. This worked really well for us and is one of the reasons I adored Miquon. If we ever hit a wall with anything, we'd just stop and do something else. I don't know of any other program that's arranged as flexibly.

Ds chooses what to do next by looking at the progress chart from the back of the book. He chooses a topic, then I give him the next page in that topic that we haven't covered. When he completes it he colours in the box on the progress chart. Then I choose a topic (usually something different) and he does the next available page for that section.

This works really well for him. He gets a choice, plus he has a page he may not have selected. I found that pulling out a few pages and giving him a choice of those was a problem. I think it was a bit overwhelming (I only had 5 or 6 pages, but it was still too much visually) and he wanted to do sheets that weren't in my selection (figures).

I keep the worksheets I have pulled out in a binder organized with a tab for each workbook.

(I pull from multiple books because I use Miquon with all three students.)

However, pulling the sheets and putting them into the page protector is just too much. (I'm low rent; I admit it!)

What I do is pull out my handy dandy white board and re-write the sheet on it. Bonus, I just carry my lab sheet annotations instead of multiple workbooks.