Menu

Can people with thyroid issues please chime in?

delaney

Can you tell me what your symptoms were, what tests you had run, and if they had trouble pinpointing it?

Here are my facts so far:

Knee and ankle pain that gradually worsened over 2 weeks now with swelling, stiffness,and heel(bottom of foot) involved

Thyroid is enlarged and they measured something on the ultrasound yesterday(nodule I think)

Calcium up and Vit D levels super low in blood work

Negative for Lyme's and kidney function looked fine. Thyroid also looked fine on blood work but I don't know what was tested

Scattered brain, lack of interest or energy in anything, suddenly like coffee(weird, right?)

No shortness of breath or trouble breathing, Naproxen helps with the pain

Scattered brain can be a thyroid deficiency but it can also be an iron deficiency. I mostly had fatigue.

They just did a standard thyroid test, I have them every now and then because my mom has Hashimotos.

My mom had a thyroid antibody test. One has to specifically test thyroid antibodies to detect Hashimotos.

Did they do a full panel or just a TSH? What were your numbers? Off meds, my TSH comes in at around 3.5. Normal if you use the old .5 - 5 range, but high if you use the .3 - 3 range. But, my Free T3 is low even when my TSH is normal, indicating that I am not converting T4 to T3 very well. I also have antibodies and have been diagnosed with Hashimoto's. I have been on NatureThyroid (dessicated thyroid) for several years and have been doing better. Synthroid did very little for me. I was off meds for about 2 months last fall due to "breaking up" with my old doctor (due to him wanting to do lots of expensive tests every 3 months with no improvement) and not getting in to see the new doctor. I was a mess - foggy thinking, forgetting appointments and deadlines, no energy, the blues, slight difficulty swallowing, joint pain, total crash at about 1pm and needing LOTS of caffeine just to get dinner on the table. I also have a couple of thyroid nodules that we have been keeping an eye on and I had a needle biopsy several years ago (normal results.)

Did they do a full panel or just a TSH? What were your numbers? Off meds, my TSH comes in at around 3.5. Normal if you use the old .5 - 5 range, but high if you use the .3 - 3 range. But, my Free T3 is low even when my TSH is normal, indicating that I am not converting T4 to T3 very well. I also have antibodies and have been diagnosed with Hashimoto's. I have been on NatureThyroid (dessicated thyroid) for several years and have been doing better. Synthroid did very little for me. I was off meds for about 2 months last fall due to "breaking up" with my old doctor (due to him wanting to do lots of expensive tests every 3 months with no improvement) and not getting in to see the new doctor. I was a mess - foggy thinking, forgetting appointments and deadlines, no energy, the blues, slight difficulty swallowing, joint pain, total crash at about 1pm and needing LOTS of caffeine just to get dinner on the table. I also have a couple of thyroid nodules that we have been keeping an eye on and I had a needle biopsy several years ago (normal results.)

Fogginess and the blues are spot on! She took 5 vials and did a whole lot of other tests so she couldn't have done that much with the thyroid. I am going to call tomorrow for my followup blood draw and insist they schedule the other tests if they haven't done them. When I inquired about the thyroid she said, "the level was normal" which makes me think they only tested TSH.

From what I understand cancerous thyroid nodules are super rare so that doesn't really worry me right now.

I am taking Spectra 303-T which has L-tyrosine and throxine free thyroid in it. 100 mg each. Does that sound right?