Menu

analytical users-questions about when to begin--Xpost

Hi,

I am wondering when you began using analytical grammar-like what grade. I started my oldest in 7th, but she was very bright. My next I started in 8th grade and she is doing well. I was wondering if anyone has ever started in 6th grade. is that too early? I have twin 6th grade boys next year-

thanks

pam

It wasn't working for mine when he was in 6th grade. I pulled it and put it aside. I can't say exactly why, but he was not succeeding with it in terms of being able to do the exercises.

My oldest on the other hand did very well with it in 7th, 8th, and 9th grades.

In theory it has really been best test driven for 8th graders since that is the level she taught it at for years. They did the full thing in one year.

My youngest did it this past year in 8th. She did the whole thing in one year and it was wonderful! The first section with all the diagramming would have been too much for her in 6th, but that is the design and I'm sure some kids would do fine with it.

I used this in 6th - 7th - 8th with my 15yo. He struggled a bit a couple of months into 6th so I posted here asking for help and was advised to contact the author. She was very helpful, explaining that many kids struggle if they don't follow the 'Process' flowchart when doing the exercises. He started doing it using the flowchart and improved dramatically. We continued with the program through 8th and plan to use it next year with dd in 6th.

As an aside, ds did find it to be overwhelming to do an entire page of exercises in one day, so we stretched it out. The first section is supposed to be finished in 10 weeks in 6th grade. The child is then supposed to do grammar only once a week (or maybe fortnightly, I can't remember exactly) for the rest of the year. Instead, we worked through it slowly and consistently doing the 10 weeks of work in a full school year. Doing it this way took around 15-20 minutes a day; doing it as designed would take a lot longer, maybe 30-40 minutes per day.

I used this in 6th - 7th - 8th with my 15yo. He struggled a bit a couple of months into 6th so I posted here asking for help and was advised to contact the author. She was very helpful, explaining that many kids struggle if they don't follow the 'Process' flowchart when doing the exercises. He started doing it using the flowchart and improved dramatically. We continued with the program through 8th and plan to use it next year with dd in 6th.

As an aside, ds did find it to be overwhelming to do an entire page of exercises in one day, so we stretched it out. The first section is supposed to be finished in 10 weeks in 6th grade. The child is then supposed to do grammar only once a week (or maybe fortnightly, I can't remember exactly) for the rest of the year. Instead, we worked through it slowly and consistently doing the 10 weeks of work in a full school year. Doing it this way took around 15-20 minutes a day; doing it as designed would take a lot longer, maybe 30-40 minutes per day.

Good to know, thanks for sharing!