Menu

Which Geometry for DD12?

I guess the title sums it up. Here is a little background:

We pulled DD12 from PS in 4th grade because she was bored and was ready for more than the school was able to give (especially in math). Since then, she has flown through Singapore Standards Math 4-6, BJU Pre-algebra, and is almost finished with Lial's Algebra 1. She has always practically self-taught herself math and only has questions occasionally for me to answer. I know she understands the material because I will sometimes sit with her to be certain and I assign her every section, whether she thinks she knows the material or not. Also, her test scores are always A's. She truly just "gets" math.

I do not think she would like a video based program because once she gets the concept, she wants to practice it with the exercises and move on.

Also, we are planning on sending her to PS in high school, so it has to be something that the school would recognize as a solid geometry program, Not something like LOF. I am sure that is too outside-the-box for PS.

Thank you for your thoughts!

One important question to ask is do you plan on covering geometric proofs? Not all textbooks do and some only lightly gloss over them. Much depends on the level of rigor the course or text follows. If she takes a 'light' geometry this year she could always take a proof based geometry once in high school. But the way you've described her skills and your goals for meeting school standards I think proof based Geometry would probably be the better fit.

As was mentioned I think Jacobs, BJU, AoPS among others cover proofs: http://forums.welltr...ge__hl__+proofs

The second consideration is that grading proofs can be somewhat challenging since there is typically more than 'one' correct way to answer them. See this thread on 'Grading Geometric Proofs:' http://forums.welltr...ge__hl__+proofs

Would she like a program like Art of Problem Solving?

Surprisingly, no. I gave her the option between AoPS and a more traditional program for Algebra 1 and she chose traditional, although she certainly couls have handled AoPS.

Prentice Hall (RR sells a homeschool set)

BJU

Jacob's

Teaching Textbooks

I am leaning towards Jacobs right now, but undecided about about which edition. Proofs are a must, I do not know if I want more traditional like 2e or the newer 3e. I am leaning towrds 3e, simply because of her age.

One important question to ask is do you plan on covering geometric proofs? Not all textbooks do and some only lightly gloss over them. Much depends on the level of rigor the course or text follows. If she takes a 'light' geometry this year she could always take a proof based geometry once in high school. But the way you've described her skills and your goals for meeting school standards I think proof based Geometry would probably be the better fit.

As was mentioned I think Jacobs, BJU, AoPS among others cover proofs: http://forums.welltr...ge__hl__+proofs

The second consideration is that grading proofs can be somewhat challenging since there is typically more than 'one' correct way to answer them. See this thread on 'Grading Geometric Proofs:' http://forums.welltr...ge__hl__+proofs

LOL....I have read both of these. I am a math and science kinda girl myself, so grading will not be an issue. And yes, proofs are a must, as I cannot really see geometry without them.

Thank you for your thoughts. I do not know why I am having such a hard time with this. Actually, yes I do: she is so young to be getting into this. I had no trouble up to Algebra I because many kids take this course in middle school. But, now that she is getting into higher-level maths, I want to make sure she understands it all, the books are straight-forward and clear so she does not get frustrated (I think that is why no AoPS), and somewhat engaging as she is only 12.

I guess I really need something for a mature 12yo that can certainly handle the math, but still treats her like a 12yo. Does this even make sense? And more importantly, does this exist?

I am leaning towards Jacobs right now, but undecided about about which edition. Proofs are a must, I do not know if I want more traditional like 2e or the newer 3e. I am leaning towrds 3e, simply because of her age.

Obviously, YMMV. But I'll give you our story. I started my older son in 7th grade with Jacobs 3rd edition geometry. This text is beautiful and colorful and the problems are definitely interesting, but I found that it did NOT provide enough basic instruction and practice for my youngish son. The exercises were too loosey-goosey, if that makes any sense at all. We switched to Jacobs 2nd edition after Chapter 6 and found it to be a much better fit. Straightforward with excellent, traditional problem-sets. Good luck with your decision! :)