Menu

FAFSA, College Costs, and Divorced Parents

elegantlion

We're a few years out, but I'm trying to get my information in line beforehand. Dh and I are separated, going to divorce, and I'm curious how this will affect things like financial aid. I'm assuming they take both parents income into consideration? What would happen if he or I were remarried (nothing like that even on the horizon, but just asking all the questions)?

Doesn't the FAFSA have an earlier the better deadline?

Ds will be 18 by this time, does that matter at all? It's pretty likely, I'll have custody rights, nothing definitive yet.

What other questions should I be asking? We have no college savings and I'm still looking for a job (will be lower income most likely) and dh, well who knows by that time where he'll be working.

FAFSA only looks at the income and assets of the parent with whom the child lives with most of the time. They also want info from the step-parent with whom the child lives. Some schools have their own additional forms or use the CSS profile which does ask for non-custodial parent info as well. You can go to the FAFSA site and view the worksheets to see exactly what information they collect.

Yes, it is the custodial parent who matters for the FAFSA. The thing I find that most often surprises parents on this issue is that if the parent the child lives with most gets remarried their spouse's income will also be considered for financial aid.

This is a really good article that covers the key concerns on divorce and financial aid. Some families negotiate college expenses as part of the divorce settlement.

Yes, it is the custodial parent who matters for the FAFSA. The thing I find that most often surprises parents on this issue is that if the parent the child lives with most gets remarried their spouse's income will also be considered for financial aid.

This is a really good article that covers the key concerns on divorce and financial aid. Some families negotiate college expenses as part of the divorce settlement.

Thanks, that is helpful.

We have joint physical and legal custody. We were able to chose which household would do the FAFSA but for that household ALL income needed to be included. We ended up doing it, mainly because my ex would never get off his &@&@ to fill out the form in time. I don't even have an income so it was entirely a step-parent's income taken into consideration. The best bet for maximum financial aid would be to use the household with the lowest income and assets.

I'm not clear what you're referring to here. Custody? Penalties for what? His job isn't high paying either.

I've seen one too many dads decide when their children get to college age that they have no more to contribute. In one horrifying instance a Christian guy got other Christian folks on his Facebook account to tell him it was okay to not live up to the promises he had made his children to help put them through college (doubly horrifying because his children were also "friends" on his account). I still shudder at that one.

So put the agreement to pay for college in the divorce papers and if at all possible and include financial penalties if it can be shown that one side or the other did not live up to their half. NOTE: I am not an attorney, so I have no idea if or how to do this. Get a good attorney.

We have been fighting to get my ex to help pay for our daughter's college for the past year. That is despite it being in the divorce agreement. He tried to say he only had to pay community college costs, as opposed to a 4 year state school. Meanwhile, dh (who is not legally required to pay anything) has been bearing the entire burden of paying for her college for the past year. We should have things settled soon but it's been very frustrating. Amazing that her dad is willing to pay a lawyer $$$ in order to convince everyone he can't afford to help his daughter with college. :glare:

I've seen one too many dads decide when their children get to college age that they have no more to contribute. In one horrifying instance a Christian guy got other Christian folks on his Facebook account to tell him it was okay to not live up to the promises he had made his children to help put them through college (doubly horrifying because his children were also "friends" on his account). I still shudder at that one.

So put the agreement to pay for college in the divorce papers and if at all possible and include financial penalties if it can be shown that one side or the other did not live up to their half. NOTE: I am not an attorney, so I have no idea if or how to do this. Get a good attorney.

Yikes.

We have been fighting to get my ex to help pay for our daughter's college for the past year. That is despite it being in the divorce agreement. He tried to say he only had to pay community college costs, as opposed to a 4 year state school. Meanwhile, dh (who is not legally required to pay anything) has been bearing the entire burden of paying for her college for the past year. We should have things settled soon but it's been very frustrating. Amazing that her dad is willing to pay a lawyer $$$ in order to convince everyone he can't afford to help his daughter with college. :glare:

Ugh, I'm sorry.

I'll have to consider this.