Menu

When to stop spelling?

taffnus

My dd9 has completed AAS1-5 and is about to start level 6. She's a natural speller and has always just seemed to know how to spell. I'm thinking of trying to speed through level 6 in a couple of months and then stop formal spelling this fall. I am planning on starting Caesar's English in the fall so vocabulary will take over the place of spelling.

What do others do? Am I wrong in thinking that I can stop formal spelling with a 5th grader? I was considering something like Spelling Workout just for fun on the side. Any thoughts?

Glad to hear this. My son makes very few spelling mistakes, so I've often wondered why we are doing spelling. We are continuing through 5th too because the mistakes he does make are the ones that have the best and most memorable rules "i before e except after c" and he spells receive recieve all of the time. But he can spell non intuitive words, what's with that! Anyway, one more year :-)

My ds11 has never done any formal spelling, and he is a fantastic natural speller. My other boys ds8 and ds10 are not nature spellers, and will continue until they complete all levels of AAS. So, I think a natural speller doesn't need to do any formal spelling. Drop when you see fit :)