Menu

Summer review...SM extra practice wb or math sprints or...

What would be a good review this summer? My ds finished 3a so I was thinking of having him do the 3a extra practice book daily. I have never seen the extra practice books though so I don't know what to expect. I want him to retain his math facts and practice long division and review on other topics would be an added bonus. I have also heard Evan Moor math review is good. I guess I could save my money and just make him worksheets but I think I might slack off in getting it done :tongue_smilie:

I'd be more inclined to use the IP books rather than the Extra Practice books.

Or get a copy of the Tests books and use them for review.

The EP books have teaching review but then only a few problems that are review. Their difficulty level is about the same as the WB.

IP has some work that is pretty basic at the start of a section but then they have problems that are much more challenging... and they have word problems!

For 5, instead of getting EP, I tried the tests. Sometimes we need a bit of extra practice on the same level as the workbooks. There are two tests (one mc/one open ended) for each topic and two chapter tests at the end of each chapter. There isn't any review, but if you've got the textbooks, you don't need the extra review anyway.

I'd be more inclined to use the IP books rather than the Extra Practice books.

I agree, and for the same reasons Dana mentioned. The EP books are at the same level (or even easier) than the workbook, whereas the IP has a range of difficulty levels *and* includes word problems. I think that the advantage of the IP over making my own sheets is the variety of problem types: I tend to create the same types of problems over and over when I'm making extra review sheets, but the IP offers a lot of surprises.

Another option for review would be the CWP if you're not already using them.

I have used Math Sprints in the past, too. They're okay, but I've found that the Mental Math at the back of the HIGs is just as effective.

I haven't tried the tests for review, but that sounds like a really great idea.

Does anyone just continue on to the next level of SM over the summer...maybe just at a slower "summer" pace? I was planning on doing that next year when we'll be heading into 2a, but I'm a newbie so maybe don't know what I'm doing! :mellow:

Does anyone just continue on to the next level of SM over the summer...maybe just at a slower "summer" pace? I was planning on doing that next year when we'll be heading into 2a, but I'm a newbie so maybe don't know what I'm doing! :mellow:

Sure! Lots of folks homeschool year-round and just do the next thing.