Menu

Keeping a genius mind busy

Guest taylene

Guest taylene

I am looking for suggestions. Things like Sudoku or workbooks or ANYTHING really that will keep my son's brain occupied. He reads a lot, so I'm not looking for book suggestions, but anything else.

He does like to build things or do puzzles, so if you know of anything great like that I would appreciate the help.

He is 10 years old.

I find when he is creating things, reading, or working on projects we have far less behavior problems.

I just feel like I need some fresh new ideas.

Thank you!

Welcome to the boards!

I have 2 suggestions:

1. You should probably mention his age for more relevant suggestions

2. You might want to cross post this on the Accelerated Learner board

I have math resource suggestions linked in my signature below if you are interested.

I'd suggest taking a gander at the Make website. They have a great magazine, and a shop where you can buy the supplies to make most of the things they mention. DH and the kidlets love it all. DH has to step in a lot to help them with the projects (My kids are 9, 6,5, & 3--the 9 & 6 yo are the ones who mostly interested in the building.), but they have a lot of fun. We're big fans of the Arduino kits.

At that age, my dd decided to learn runes. She treats them like a wonderful code language. She knows Elder and Younger Futhark. We spend a lot of time wandering old bookstores, and this was something she discovered on her own. Around the ame age, my ds became interested in Manga and Japanese. He used to translate his French homework into Japanese for practice. There is a world of things a bright child can spend their mental energy on, but I think it is best when they have the space to find out for themselves what they're interested in. I think boredom is a wonderful gift to any child.

Non-book suggestions that work well here, for the same age group:

DIY.org - he can do projects to earn badges. Great site!!! He has to join (it's free) but they have specific safety guidelines (don't use your name, don't post pics of yourself)... and parents are copied on all activity. Enormous potential for projects in a lot of different directions. Lots of inspiration. Your house will become home to many, many inventions and projects.

Keva Planks - esp the contraptions kit with the balls.

Lego. He could move ahead to Mindstorm, etc.

Snap Circuits.

Do you have an iPad? Are you opposed to that type of screen time? Tons of great apps out there.

I will stop, but could go on and on...