Menu

'Ladies Question' about infection, itching, etc

Slipper

My oldest daughter is growing up. She is 13 1/2 years old. She has not yet started her cycle but we anticipate it happening at any moment.

(My daughter is functionally non-verbal, with autism and unable to answer questions beyond very basic things).

She occasionally has problems with what I suspect are itching, burning feelings. We only figure it out once she starts grabbing herself and having tantrums. A couple of times, she's had some mild bleeding which turned out to be related to a urinary tract infection.

The problem is, we simply don't know.

My standard remedy for itchy, burning feelings are baking soda baths and ibuprofen. I have a home test kit for UTI and if I suspect one, we go immediately to the doctor.

She's having problems again today and I'm at a loss. She's urinating frequently, and wetting her clothing and bedding/couches, etc. Her urine has a really foul odor. The home UTI test is negative. Is it possible for her to have a yeast infection? How on earth will I know? How will I treat this when she can't use the 'typical' treatment and her meds are all liquid?

Any suggestions on how I can investigate this further without being too invasive with her? Any home remedies (other than what I'm doing) that could help her feel better? I hate running to the doctor with suspected UTI's and we go several times a year. But, I also hate her being so uncomfortable.

Help :(

Given her symptoms, I'd probably treat for the UTI first and see if it helps. I've gone in to see the doctor, literally peeing blood and in so much pain I could barely move, and had the test show up negative. :glare: Thankfully, the doctor laughed and said he'd just assume it was a UTI anyway. Those tests are worthless, imo.