Menu

Advice for long road trip/moving

Butter

We closed on our house in San Antonio TX last week and will be leaving southern MD on the 26th and spending 4 days driving across the country. The longest we've ever done is to Florida (two days). I've mapped out a plan that adds only a few miles to our trip but allows us to stop at one friend's house each day in the middle of the day to give us all some running around time. We're planning to stay at hotels with pools to help burn even more energy. But the fact is most of the time we will be sitting in the van. I have four kids, ages 4, 6, 11, and 13. Our van has a DVD player and all the kids have Fires (and we can charge them while driving since there is a regular outlet).

What sorts of things should we do or have to keep the kids relatively happy? I know from experience driving to Disney World last year that the video only lasts so long to keep them entertained. By the middle of the second day they were all seriously antsy and we'll have twice as long this time.

Also, we are using a PODS to move and are currently filling it up. It will be picked up a few days before we leave here and will be delivered the day after we arrive at our new house. We will have a bit of space to take things in our van and we will be pulling our car and can put stuff in there as well. What things should we make sure to carry with us rather than ship in the PODS?

Thanks for any advice! I've never moved further than an hour drive. This is totally new for us.

We did this two ears ago from Utah to VA and we are getting ready to do it again.

Take a hard, plastic, thin case and pack all that apply:

Birth certificates

Health insurance information

Car insurance information

Extra prescriptions from your dr if needed

House papers

Homeschooling letter from district

Pet records

It took us a few days to get the pod delivered and unloaded and there were things like the above we wished we had access to sooner. For us it was our adoption decree and an extra prescription from our Utah doctor for dd.

4 days is not a lot of time and we found that we really didn't have a lot of time to swim by the time we got into hotels, but that is was so badly needed, we ended up letting the girls stay up.

When you stop for lunch, stop near a playground and play.

DVDs make our girls more restless. They played with wiki sticks and did Color Wonder while listening to audio books. I also made them coloring/worksheet/info packets for each state we drove through, but they like that kind of thing.

Take the things you'll need immediately and/or would be more expensive to replace than drive down. We'll be taking a flight for our next move, but a rubbermaid tub will be sent ahead with sheets, a pot and a pan, set of measuring cups, and small toys (playdough, new coloring book, chalk..)

For our very long flight I'm planning to put together a backpack with

window clings

audio books

magnetic play set

an old digital camera

I spy bag, along with booklet of cards for each item

some logic puzzles for the oldest (sudoku, mice cards, etc.)

knitting mushroom

If we were driving, I'd add in

simple maps, with our stop offs highlighted

car bingo

maybe a pie tin set like these or busy bags

and snacks. Lots of snacks. When my oldest was little I used to get into a rhythm of every half hour snack OR toy, with a stop every 2.5 hours. At that point I'd collect up all containers and toys, refill and restock my bag, and continue the cycle after a nice break.

We have found that DVDs work best if they haven't ever seen the movies. If you don't want to buy a bunch of new movies, which I have splurged and done before, google your new address for a redbox or blockbuster and rent several for your trip. You can return them when you arrive.

Books on CD are wonderful on long trips. My children actually prefer them to movies. Frisbees, jump ropes and bubbles are great for rest stop breaks. In the car, markers, pipe cleaners, aluminum foil, paper, pens/pencils, provide entertainment.

I recommend packing two bathing suits per kid because mine hate to put on a damp suit.

Stuff as many plastic grocery bags as you can into a tissue box and throw it in the car. I always go through a ton of bags for wet bathing suits, soiled clothing, trash, collecting treasures, etc. Also be sure to take a roll of paper towels.

Give everyone a refillable water bottle and let them pick a favorite snack to share for the road. I also let each of mine bring a small blanket, pillow and one carry on bag filled with the items of their choice.

Pack at least one more outfit than you expect to need. That way if something happens and the movers don't show up on time, you'll have clean clothes to wear at the laundromat while you wash the rest.