Menu

What decent part-time jobs are there to work around homeschooling?

HappyGrace

I basically have no college degree or other things to draw on, but we need more money-we're *just* getting by (dh's salary just isn't cutting it). I wish I could do something part-time around homeschooling-would love more than minimum wage if possible. Any ideas?

I have worked in the hospitality industry since my oldest came to live with us. I would definitely look into working in a large hotel if there is one in the area. Work a swing shift sort of position so that you don't pay much childcare. You may have to pay someone to watch your kids for a couple of hours before you dh comes home, but no more than that, and it also keeps dh from relaxing if you don't, lol. You don't want your dh to think that you will do all the housework, take care of the kids and feed him dinner while he puts his feet up at the end of an eight hour day. If you are working more, so should he, lol.

lol-you described dh to a T!! LOL! My dc are 13 1/2 and 10 1/2 so I can leave them for like an hour or so in between me leaving and dh getting home if I needed to.

There are two large hotels right nearby-what kinds of jobs did you work that were good, and what are the shifts, generally?

with no college degree or skills, I think you are going to have to start at minimum wage.

I would look for a minimum wage job which offers extras. Some grocery stores give discounts (I've heard the employer discount at Whole Foods is 20%, my friend works at Wegmans and get first pick at things in her section of the store that are going on sale). Grocery stores have overnight hours so you can find night and weekend times to avoid childcare.

If you work at a rec center or Y you may be able to get a free member ship for your family or discounts on classes for your kids. Private health clubs may offer similar perks, but the few I've heard do not. Similarly you can get evening, weekend or very early am shifts to avoid childcare issues (some facilities may allow you to use childcare). If you work at a government operated rec center and are interested in fitness or swimming, they might let you take lifeguarding, water safety or fitness instructor classes they offer for free (after you've been)--with those certs you can get higher than minimum wage pay. My second job is as a water safety instructor. I get almost 2.5 x minimum wage for group lessons and double that for private. If I work 7 hours a week get classes for free for my family (art, dance TKD, computer, etc) and 50% off camps. So, you can see I don't just help my family with pay. Over the years, I've seen a few people move from just over minimum wage positions to other positions within the center.

Anyway, think about targeting perks at places that may not offer more than minimum wage to start.

I have worked in the hospitality industry since my oldest came to live with us. I would definitely look into working in a large hotel if there is one in the area. Work a swing shift sort of position so that you don't pay much childcare. You may have to pay someone to watch your kids for a couple of hours before you dh comes home, but no more than that, and it also keeps dh from relaxing if you don't, lol. You don't want your dh to think that you will do all the housework, take care of the kids and feed him dinner while he puts his feet up at the end of an eight hour day. If you are working more, so should he, lol.

I worked in hotels while completing my degree and home schooling ds. I mostly worked third shift. It got very exhausting toward the end, especially when I had to complete and internship as well (yes, on top of FT work!). However, when I started working years before, I worked at a local hotel that let me work 2 or 3 nights a week, for about $8/hour. Usually, I did it on weekends, to allow me to be rested Monday through Thursday. It worked nicely for me.

After I graduated, I started working for a tech company making about twice what dh made before he was laid off, so he is the SAHD and teacher now. If you're looking for something to make some extra cash, maybe $500 - $600, then PT night auditor at a hotel can work well. It also work well, in my experience, with completing a degree!

Gad station clerk??? I was one while I went college after I had dd. Dd went to work with me for about the first year since I took online classes then. She was with me for about 45 minutes to an hour before dh picked her up. When I could no longer take online classes I hired a sitter for about an hour and a half two days a week.

I dont know what you schedule is like, but you might check into school bus driving, not the best time of year to start but, I work part-time split shift. Starting pay in the north seattle area was 19.00 hour. Made the training really worth it and the kids are really cool. Our district has sub drivers that can work only the hours they want. It seems that they school districts are always needing good people.

Jobs someone with no degree and no experience could do in a hotel:

Banquet serving (weddings are coming up, this might be a very easy way in)

Front desk

housekeeping (most hotels keep a couple of housekeepers on nights)

Restaurant hostess

All of these jobs can pay more than minimum wage when you get a little experience. If you work hard and make good friends management is open to people without a degree so that in a few years when your oldest is in college you can make more money.

A lady at my church who was a single mom homeschooling her older children had a job at a local grocery show filling orders for their grocery delivery business. She worked early mornings, pushing a large cart around the store getting items and then packaging them up for delivery. She got home by 10am and then did school with her girls. There might be something like that in your area?