Menu

Spelling Issues and How long do you teach spelling?

So, I did a hodge podge of phonics for my son from prek - 4th grade. Trying lots of things, never happy with much of the results, but my son was not progressing in reading so for this year in 5th grade I decided to make reading a priority and we are using Saxon Phonics Intervention and it's been really good. His reading and spelling has improved, I am not really sure if it's this curriculum or just maturity. This is also sort of the age many boys will start to "come around" so to speak.

Anyway, I am not sure what to do about spelling afterwards. AAS would be a repeat of all we have done. I have looked at the table of contents for all 7 levels and it's basically the same as what we are doing with Saxon Phonics Intervention. If I do AAS it would all be repeat and I am not sure that is necessary.

Since we would be covering basically (or atleast about 90%) all the stuff that is taught in AAS up to level 7 than I am wondering if maybe we are done with spelling and all I need to do is just watch his spelling in his writing.

I could do something like Spelling Power or Sequential Spelling, it's a different approach. But, I guess I am wondering how long do you teach spelling. I notice spelling is not usually taught in high school.

Spelling through Morphographs is an interesting program for struggling spellers that you can go through in one year. There is another program just like it that can be used from about 1st -6th grades called Spelling Mastery, which I used with my son with great success. Both are pricey, though, so I wouldn't buy them anywhere but on eBay.

My daughter is finishing up 2nd grade and spelling is her weak spot. I bought SpellWell B/Bb and we will be starting it this summer. I had a hard time finding reviews on it, but the ones I found were mainly positive. I have looked through the books and I like what I see.