Menu

FIAR - Science Question

IceFairy

I don't see why you would even need to supplement FIAR science. Science just isn't that important at that age. We supplemented with BFSU, but just because we are a sciencey family and like the program, but I don't think it is necessary. I also don't care much for the emphasis on biology in FIAR, but that is very much just a personal quirk.

We do not add any science to FIAR, besides an additional library book or two on a science topic of particular interest, or maybe a related Magic School Bus video. I think that science is one of the strongest parts of FIAR. Many times the manual has multiple options for the science lesson for a unit and they're too good to choose just one! We often choose to do a couple of them and spread our rows out to 6-7 days.

I don't see why you would even need to supplement FIAR science. Science just isn't that important at that age. We supplemented with BFSU, but just because we are a sciencey family and like the program, but I don't think it is necessary. I also don't care much for the emphasis on biology in FIAR, but that is very much just a personal quirk.

Isn't that funny? We actually add *more* biology since that is what we tend to love. Most of our add-on library books are about animals or life cycles. We read a few bear books this week in conjunction with Another Celebrated Dancing Bear, despite the science lesson in the manual being about the boiling and freezing points of water.

We do not add any science to FIAR, besides an additional library book or two on a science topic of particular interest, or maybe a related Magic School Bus video. I think that science is one of the strongest parts of FIAR. Many times the manual has multiple options for the science lesson for a unit and they're too good to choose just one! We often choose to do a couple of them and spread our rows out to 6-7 days.

Isn't that funny? We actually add *more* biology since that is what we tend to love. Most of our add-on library books are about animals or life cycles. We read a few bear books this week in conjunction with Another Celebrated Dancing Bear, despite the science lesson in the manual being about the boiling and freezing points of water.

That is funny, because I have always felt that the science was the weakest part (next to the math). My dh is a physics and chemistry teacher, so I guess we expected too much.

This why I love FIAR so much (in spite of the fact that it bombed with my youngest). It is so versatile. Yet it is so easy and open-and-go if you want it to be.

That is funny, because I have always felt that the science was the weakest part (next to the math). My dh is a physics and chemistry teacher, so I guess we expected too much.

This why I love FIAR so much (in spite of the fact that it bombed with my youngest). It is so versatile. Yet it is so easy and open-and-go if you want it to be.

FIAR is definitely the type of program where every family can have a totally different experience! :thumbup1:

My DH is a chemical engineer, so quite math/science-y himself, and we both feel the science in FIAR is ample but the math stinks (I added Singapore Essential math this year). We are using it with PK and Kers, though, so I will admit that our expectations for science at that level are pretty light.