Menu

Easy Grammar/Daily Grams

ummibee

Easy Grammar, yes. Daily Grams, no.

Easy Grammar was my favorite. I don't think that formal grammar study is necessary until the dc are 9ish, though.

If I were hsing again, it would be Easy Grammar for 4th-ish, then Daily Grams, then Easy Grammar 6th-ish, then Daily Grams, one final Easy Grammar (Plus), and *maybe* one Ultimate. IOW, not Easy Grammar every year, and not EG and DG simultaneously.

Easy Grammar, yes. Daily Grams, no.

Easy Grammar was my favorite. I don't think that formal grammar study is necessary until the dc are 9ish, though.

If I were hsing again, it would be Easy Grammar for 4th-ish, then Daily Grams, then Easy Grammar 6th-ish, then Daily Grams, one final Easy Grammar (Plus), and *maybe* one Ultimate. IOW, not Easy Grammar every year, and not EG and DG simultaneously.

Thank you for this! This makes really good sense. I think this will be our plan for the next year! Have a 4th and 6th grader.

My dd(9) used Easy Grammar/Daily Grams this past year, and we both really loved it. I plan to continue on with it, and possibly switch my ds to it as well. Ellie's plan intrigues me. I like the idea of dropping Daily Grams and only having one grammar book, but I am worried that they might forget topics they already learned. I wish more review was built into Easy Grammar.

so what are the main differences between the two?

One is more formal study of grammar (Easy Grammar) and offers a more thorough explanation or concepts in addition to review (according to section/part of speech learned), optional tests, practice etc. The other is a 5 minute per day supplement (Daily Grams) that is designed to offer 180 days of "review" for 5 basic grammar concepts including punctuation, capitalization, part of speech (varies), and sentence combining.

We used them together for one year, then my oldest and youngest switched to GWG + Daily Grams and my middle did another year of the EG + DG combo. We really like it. I like the 5 minute "overview" of DG but IMO it's not enough for a full grammar program. That said, since there are many who don't feel that formal grammar needs to be taught every year, I think using DG alone in that instance would be a great use of the curriculum. :)