Menu

Science curr choices

Thanks to some ideas and suggestions on my other thread, now I am trying to figure out what science curr I am going to choose for my

5 yr old.

I've "narrowed" it down to the following:

Magic School Bus - getting a kit /month and just adding books on that topic, etc.

Real Science for Kids pre-level 1 - haven't decided which subject

NOEO science - also haven't decided which subject.

If any of you are familiar with those, I would love to hear you opinions and what kind of experiences you had.

I need something with VERY minimal prep work, not too work-sheety and lots of hand-on fun stuff.

If it wasn't for the expense I would probably get all 3 and just pull things out of each, but this is WAY too much money, so that is not happening.

Also, I don't know how realistic it is, but I do have 2 younger kids, so it would be good to get something that I can at least partially re-use in the future

Play outside a lot. Collect lots of nature stuff and start a nature table, basket or shelf. Put a big magnifying glass there. Get a kid size pair of binoculars. We use a pill box, the kind with days of the week, to collect little dead bugs we find.

Buy Magic School Bus DVD's to watch.

Get a blank journal for the child and yourself. Practice drawing something like a tree throughout the year.

Children that age love nature. It is a great time to really connect to science in a pretty fluid way.

The only science kit I like for younger kids is Stepping into Science from Thames and Kosmos.

Raise butterflies, collect some tadpoles from a pond. Observe, Observe, Observe. We did a weather tree one year. That was really fun. I just drew my own. I am on my iPad so I will be back with links.

I used RS4K pre level Chemistry with my oldest when he was 3rd grade. IMO it may have been a tad over the head of my Kinder. The pre- level labs require some writing. The activities were good for a kinder to participate, but the discussion wasn't really. Also it wouldn't get you through a whole year.

I use ScienceWorks with my Kinder. These are non consumable workbooks, but TG with reproducibles. I also use activity books such as Mudpies to Magnets, The Kid's Science Book, and Private Eye. I also really like the Outdoor Hour Challenge pdfs for some nature study.

http://khtmontessori.com/shop/

You also may like these. They are preschool-1st grade level.

My favorite science for that age was Elemental Science - I think the K program is Intro to Science. Easy to use, good activities, just need a few books to go along with it. And inexpensive. Add in library books and videos. For early elementary the "Let's Read and Find Out About Science" series is my favorite, and there are many, many topics.