Menu

ti-84 calculator help, please

Oldest dd is in tears over this gadget. She has watched on-line tutorials and followed the instruction booklet yet every time she follows the steps for some function she ends up with windows/stuff she wasn't needing. Make any sense at all? I am useless as I hate those things and never took math that required a calculator like that. ;) Can anyone recommend a good tutorial for this device? Thanks!

Funny I was just playing with ours last night and having some struggles with it. Has she gone through the troubleshooting tables in the back to see if she can figure out what is wrong? One of my problems turned out to be a menu setting that was making functions not display correctly.

You can post what she's trying to do and see if some of us can help...

When graphing, if you're in the Y= screen and you look at the top and any of the Plots are highlighted, that can cause problems with a graph not working.

The MODE menu (top left key, next to 2nd) is good to check too... getting started, you'd want everything to the left highlighted.

This is very basic and may not be what's causing a problem....

A resource mentioned on these boards by Jann in TX is the TI 83/84 Calculator Tutor DVD by Jason Gibson. It's available at Amazon or directly from the author. You can see samples of the DVD on Mr. Gibson's website. I can't recall the website right now.

It's not inexpensive but if you are desperate it may be worth considering.

HTH

We've had good luck just using google to search for what we want to do with it (e.g. How do I find standard deviation using TI-84?). This usually turns up some detailed instructions and also a Youtube video or two. I also like the idea of seeing if she has a friend who might be able to show her how to use it.

Brenda