Menu

SAT Question of the Day?

Are these questions really representative of the kind of questions on the test? Ds15 and I have been shocked at how basic the questions have been. In fact, honestly, my dd11 would get them all correct also, though to be fair, we haven't gotten any math ones yet. Today's was a usage question and I noticed that only 51% of people got it correct, though it was not a difficult construction. We only signed up for them one and a half weeks ago so we haven't gotten that many questions sent to us yet. So perhaps they will get much more difficult with time or will start to hit those things that we are not as proficient in.

Yes, they accurate as to the level of SAT questions. Over time you will probably see more variety and level of difficulty. Remember many people signed up for the questions aren't necessarily taking the SAT right now (they might be kids or parents like me who don't get that many of the math ones correct!). I like the question of the day and I do encourage students to sign up for them, but it is really different than taking a full length test where you are on a tight time line and need to answer question after question, section after section. I would also encourage your student to try a full length test at some point to get a better idea how it all fits together.

I have not seen any questions on the SAT that I'd consider hard if I can take the isolated question and think about it until I know the answer.

But this is completely different from being in the test situation where you have tight time limits and need to remain fully concentrated for 4.5 hours.

(This said: I find today's question particularly easy. But there will be many people who just look at it, maybe try half-heartedly, and not take it seriously. A better idea is to look through a previous actual test and how many actual test takers got each question right.)