Menu

Just printed out the Lively Latin Big Book 1

....and it's huge! x 3 for all the kids. I also downloaded all of the videos and vocabulary pronunciations. Now I am wondering if I want a copy for me! I will probably just send it to my Kindle Fire. I am excited since I have never studied Latin, but the kids are looking at the pages like they are torture devices.

So, are my rising 4th and 5th graders really going to be able to learn this stuff? My 5th grader still can't remember some of the more advance English phonograms.

How would you do this with kids in 4th, 5th, and 8th considering I want to do it, too? I would like to have my oldest finish Books 1 and 2 by the end of his freshman year for one high school credit, but I know my younger two can't move at that pace. Or, can they really do a whole book in a year (with breaks of course)? I don't know about letting him move ahead by working independently since I don't know how well he will apply himself at retaining it...he isn't at all motivated.

How does "a day in the life" of BB1 look?

I can't answer your questions (I've only just downloaded it last week), but if the kids are looking at the pages like they are torture devices, I'd probably just hand out one or two pages at a time, not the whole book. :)

I'm pretty sure my rising 4th grader will handle the book just fine, but he's also been doing Getting Started With Latin this year ($10 ebook version), so we have a bit of a leg up going in to LL.

When I print it, I don't plan to have a copy for me. I'll just look at it on the computer in my own time. And I'll try to make sure that we do chants and such together, so I can memorize them too.

I have the first book broken into lesson chunks that are very manageable by a 4th or 5th grader. I will look for the file and post the lesson plans here. I have a start on the second book. I generally only hand them the pages they need on a particular day (actually we have a bin of daily file folders for handouts, and they go in there).

Waaaaay better than staring down the monster book!

I got two big binders and put all the pages in one. In the second I put the pages we completed. I also would give my son the pages a few at a time instead of in a big chunk. It would look overwhelming all together. Now that he has done Latin for awhile I give him the pages for the week and he can work at his own pace somewhat.

We really like LL, it’s been very easy to teach for me having no experience in Latin myself. There is a LOT of history in LL. My oldest son loves the history and it’s one reason we picked the program but you could probably skip part of it (or all of it) if you are trying to get through the language component faster. You could also have your younger ones skip the history parts if it’s too much for them. I started with a second grader and we took about 2 1/2 years to do LL1. He’s in LL2 now. I found even for someone young it was very doable. It builds very incrementally. Latin was one of his favorite subjects in 2nd and 3rd grades and I think it’s because it is a good program.

I will probably keep all of the pages on the shelf and just give them a few at a time. They can then file them in their binders as they finish them.

I am not too worried about my 4th grader. She will probably do well. My 5th grader still struggles with reading a bit. He doesn't have any LDs or vision issues. He can read, it just isn't easy for him, nor is it something he likes. I am hoping that learning different pronunciations for the vowels doesn't confuse him.

I would really love for us to study together, but my 8th grader will probably advance quicker than the other two. We are on a light schedule for summer right now, so I think I will just start by doing a little of this after our morning devotions. Then in the fall, they should know how to proceed more independently when we pick up our normal schedule.

I study it alongside my kids, but I never thought to print the whole book at once. LOL, I think I'd run out of ink and then pages would print in wrong order and things would go wonky and I'd say--forget it! Which reminds me, I'd better print out the next lesson.

Have fun! It really is fun when you start digging in. Don't stop over summer (looks like you're already making it part of your summer) otherwise Latin, like Math, is a booger to pick up again.

DS just turned 13. We do a chapter a week, broken into four lessons. So, we are getting through in much less than a year. I don't think he would get through nearly as quickly if I were not sitting by him and (re)learning it at the same time. We will start BB2 this summer. My understanding is that the intensity picks up quite a bit, and we should not expect to finish BB2 as quickly.

Okay, in another thread, I had posted a print scheme for Lively Latin 1 that showed how to print double-sided, if you want to be able to file the pages the way she suggests (ie, all vocabulary together, all lessons together, all history together, so that the book forms a kind of reference guide when you are done. I find this is actually useful as you get later into the program, when kiddo asks, "How did we . . .?" We can flip right to the lessons section or vocab section and find it quickly).

With that print scheme I had included a sample lesson planner-- here is a section of just the lesson planner-- my younger is now going through BBLL1 (older is working through book 2) and what I am now trying, instead of the 3-ring binder o' everything, is I am putting the pages in the order she suggested, but I am doing it in 4-chapter packets-- the way the tests are broken up. So I just printed him the chapter 5-8 packet, double sided, and am going to comb-bind it with the pages in order the way she suggests-- vocabulary, then lessons, then exercises, then history, etc. I will use the harder plastic post-its as tabs to mark each section. <note later-- I just finished. With double-sided printing, chapters 5-8 look very nice and neat in a 3/8" comb with laminated card-stock covers>.

I laminated a front and back cover for it, and inside, instead of a table of contents, I put in a kind of syllabus, listing the assignment chunks that we can check off as he goes. Here it is, if this forum will let me paste it here from Word.

No more loose missing 3-ring binder pages floating all over the house, that never seem to get filed. The book is not actually very big, when you only print 4 chapters at once and print double-sided. For reference, this is for a 9YO student who would have been in the 4th grade this year had we not pulled him from public school-- He is doing well with this pace.

Syllabus for Lively Latin 1: Chapters 5-8

Chapter 5 2 weeks or 9 sessions

1. Lesson 5.1, Ex 5.1: The Subject

2. History: The Tarquins pp 84-85

3. Lesson 5.2, Ex 5.2: Subjects in Latin Verbs

4. Word Power C.2, History: Building Projects of the Tarquins pp 89-90

5. Lesson 5.3, Ex 5.3: Other Subjects

6. Lesson 5.4, Ex 5.4: Case of Subjects

7. History: Tarquin & The Augur pp 95-96, Word Power C.3

8. Lesson 5.5 Ex 5.5 No Articles in Latin!

9. History: Tarquin the Proud and the Sibylline Books pp 100-101

Chapter 6 2 weeks or 9 lessons

1. Lesson 6.1, Ex 6.1: Second Declension

2. Lesson 6.2, Ex 6.2: Second Declension

3. History: Junius Brutus pp 106-107

4. Lesson 6.3, Ex 6.3: Second Declension, -r endings

5. History: Junius Brutus and the End of the Tarquins p 110

6. Vocabulary D, Flash Cards, Ex 6.4

7. Ex 6.5, History: Junius Brutus Review p 116

8. History: Government of Roman Republic pp 118-120, Word Power D.1

9. Word Power D.2

Chapter 7 2 weeks or 6 lessons*

1. Lesson 7.1, Ex 7.1 The Verb Sum

2. History: Horatius at the Bridge pp 123-124

3. Lesson 7.2, Ex 7.2 Est and Sum

4. History: Horatius pp 127-137 (probably a multiple day assignment)

5. Ex 7.3

6. Ex 7.4

*more time can be taken, depending upon how long you wish to spend on the poetry.

Chapter 8 2 weeks or 8 lessons

1. Lesson 8.1, Ex 8.1 The Predicate

2. Lesson 8.2, Ex 8.2 The Predicate Nominative

3. Lesson 8.3, Ex 8.3 The Case of the Predicate Nominative

4. History: Mucius the Left-Handed pp 146-147

5. Lesson 8.4 Ex 8.4 Linking Verb at the End of the Sentence

6. Vocabulary E, Flashcards, Ex 8.5

7. Ex 8.6, Word Power E.1

8. Word Power E.2

Test on Chapters 5 – 8